Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Genital warts

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My boyfriend found out (after we had had sex) that he may have contracted genital warts. BUT it isnt his fault. Him and his ex both went for a check up at their local GUM clinic before they got serious, when results came back negative they slept together knowing they were fine to do so and healthy down below.

I had one previous sexual partner who had always worn condoms with his 2 previous sexual partners and so me and my current boyfreind thought that we were safe to have sex without a condom (im on the pill). Later that week he gets a txt from his ex saying tht she found out he was in a new relationship and wanted to tell him that a few months before they split up she had slept with another guy who had given her genital warts.

I have since developed lots of bumps around the area below my vagina and infront of my anus, i know men call it their gooch but i have no idea what it is for a woman. Anyway these bumps have fromed into lines of bumps and have even spread to my bum crack. I'm going to the GUM clinic in 2 weeks but have no idea what to expect.

Do i have to have a blood test?
will they tell me if they suspect genital warts?
Has anyone else had or got them because id like to know your stories!

XxX

Comments

• Options
    Firstly, check here: Genital Warts

My best friend has them at the moment. She didn't have a blood test, and the nurse confirmed they were warts by just looking.

She's now had 3 treatments of liquid nitrogen (which apparently doesn't hurt, it's just strange because it's cold).

Now she's using a cream for another four weeks, though theres been a vast improvement in them through the liquid nitrogen, they are now to small and too far apart, thus the cream, which she applies herself.

I think she had to go every week for the liquid nitrogen treatments.

They might also do a sexual health check (though you could refuse I guess) but it's probably best to have the check just in case, at least your mind would be put at rest without worrying about having anything else too.
  • Options
    It's very difficult to sometimes know where genital warts came from, because 80% of sexually active people have the HPV virus, and around one fifth of them ever get symptoms. Condoms can't prevent its spread.
    Do i have to have a blood test?

If you are having an HIV and syphillis test.
    will they tell me if they suspect genital warts?

Most likely, especially given that other people have had symptoms.

I don't have genital warts, but I know people who have. Despite the fact that the virus is in you for life, it's not the end of the world. People wouldn't bat an eyelid if you had a wart on your foot, you (may) just happen to have them somewhere else.

There are a range of treatments available. If you do have the warts, then they'll discuss them with you. I've never had anything but brilliant experiences when it comes to STI testing, the people who I have dealt with are fantastic.

Good luck :)
  • Options
    can u only catch the virus if your partner actually has a wart? or do they just have to have the virus in their body?
  • Options
    My trip to the GUM clinic

Everything turned out ok!
    I got asked questions like;

Do u have a partner?

When was the last time u had sex?

Was the last time u had sex with ur partner?

How many sexual partners have u had?

When did u have sex with your previous sexual partner?

Do u use condoms?

Then we went into the room and i had to sit in the chair while she inspected the genital area. Straight away i was told i had warts. She took a swab sample from the entrance to my pee hole (?) and the the entrace of my vagina and finally one from the womb.

Then she started to spray the area with liquid nitrogen and froze the warts, it was very cold and a bit sore but once it was over i felt ok.

She gave me a 4 week treatment of wartner, applying it for 3 days and having a 4 day break each week for 4 weeks.

On the end of the 2nd day and begining of the 3rd it was so sore that i could hardly walk. I couldnt lay down on my side and i couldnt even sit down properly but after a weeks treatment there is alot of improvement.

Please learn from my mistake, if u r not using condoms but relying on the pill or coil etc pls pls pls go with ur partner and get a GUM MOT so that u r both sure u r clean even if u both think u r u can never be 2 sure.

The consultants r fantastic, they r friendly, and offer lots of advice as well as making u feel comfortable. They also offer a free HIV blood test but i didnt take tht as im terrible with blood.