Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Being dragged into my mate's problem

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mate's girlfriend recently broke up with him and he desperately wants to get back with her, they had broken up before because he was always arguing, but he got back with her when he promised to change (she even gave a list of what things he did wrong) and all was well, except they argued last Thursday on the bus from work and were broke up since.

Today he asked me if I could just talk to her, and see if he has any chances of getting back, etc. I went and talked to her, and she basically said she doesn't want to get back with him but she;s okay being friends, but my mate won't accept that, he says he can't be just friends. They had been together for over a year and he says he'd do anything to get her back.

Then today on the bus after she'd gotten off, he was seriously moping, he didn't say anything at all (he's usually the centre of attention, always talking), I've never seen him like it. He just stared in the same spot until it was my time to get off the bus, but THEN he gave me her number and said I should text her to casually say that I'm worried about him!

I've never had her number before, never wanted it, never interested and yet if I text her, she's gonna figure out that I've been telling him things she said about him anyway, because why would I have her number? I ain't that good a friend with her anyway (she's bloody annoying some times).

I have to get outta this now, because I've become the middle-man and it's quite frankly not my problem. I feel sorry for the guy, but what can I do? There's nothing I can say that'll make her take him back.

Should I just tell him straight, that there's nothing I can do to help him?

Comments

• Options
    I would steer clear of that situation unless you want to be used and unappreciated. Being the middle man inbetween a friend and his/her ex is the most unrewarding thing you can possibly do.

You'll get yelled at for stupid shit from both sides, you'll have to deal with the changing emotions, you'll have to be the messenger for either of 'em.

It's honestly not worth it. Don't get mixed up in that situation.
  • Options
    Yeah, I agree with the above - you could have a lot of the anger and upset deflected onto you, not necessarily maliciously, but just because you are there, and who's to say that they won't get back together and then you'll be seen as the one who tried to interfere, even with the best intentions. Just be there for your mate as much as possible without compromising yourself and chances are that is what he will remember in the long term.
  • Options
    What I'm about to say may come out slightly wrong, but:
    This isn't really anything to do with you; it's NOT your problem and personally I'd stay out of it if I was you. It'd be different it one of them just decides that they want to talk to you about how they're feeling and whatever, but personally I wouldn't want to be caught in the middle of something like this...