Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Eye make up

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've been really bored so I started watching fashion TV and I saw some of the make up they were doing on the models. There was this model that had these really dark, dramatic, metallic eyeshadow on and I was wondering how to get this effect and what products I could use.
I'm awful at make up, I never wear the stuff and was never shown how to use it properly so half the time i just end up looking like a prat. Short from joining a make up course or asking my friends (who also incidentally dont tend to use make up) how can I learn. I want those eyes dammit!
Thanks
XXX

Comments

• Options
    i've got a silver eye liner pen by rimmel. it's a kohl one so it's quite soft and works well over other eyeshadows making it a bit shimmery and sort of smudging a bit. nicer than it sounds! did they not show what kind of things they used on the programme you watched? also, use a bit of common sense..i.e. go into a shop and test some bits on your hand or whatever to see what works. :)
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I would recommend that you go to a department store or boots or somewhere bigger that sells makeup, march right up to a counter that sells makeup you think you like the look of, and tell them what you said in your first post. They can do your eyes for you, and you can buy one or two of the things they used if you want, and get tips on how to do it yourself. Smoky eyes are big this autumn, so there should be lots of choice around.
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I would recommend that you go to a department store or boots or somewhere bigger that sells makeup, march right up to a counter that sells makeup you think you like the look of, and tell them what you said in your first post. They can do your eyes for you, and you can buy one or two of the things they used if you want, and get tips on how to do it yourself. Smoky eyes are big this autumn, so there should be lots of choice around.

That is a good idea and if you do that you could take some pics cut from a magazine to show them what your after.
  • Options
    I bought some really nice metallic liquid eye-liners from Collection 2000 t'other day. They're really cheap, and they've got all sorts of colours, like green, silver, blue, gold, purple etc. If thats any help.

High-street make-up brands don't usually make very out-standing eyeshadows. You might have to look around for MAC, EyeCandy, Barry M etc.
  • Options
    barry m eye powders are brilliant
  • Options
    urban decay do pretty good stuff-a bit pricey but worth checking out. :yes:
  • Options
    Barry M Dazzle Dust is a must, and so are MAC's eyeshadows. They do fantastic metallica shades at MAC.

And the best thing anyone can do, is to buy decent makeup brushes. Makeup works better when it's applied with the right tools.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Thanks guys. I would have loved to have known had they did it but if you've ever seen the fashion channel it's basically a dirty old man channel in disguise. They spend the whole time talking to the models who've got nowt to say lol.
    Thanks for the advice everybody. And I have been trying to get the make-up people to let me have a makeover but they always seem to ignore me. grrr lol. I'll give it another go. Thank youu
  • Options
    That's the products sorted. My best advice would be, when you're kicking around at home with nothing much to do, get out your slap and practise putting it on. You can take it all off again straight afterwards if you want, but you'll soon get the hang of it.