Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doctors - The Pill

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey

Iv always got the pill from a clinic during school but now iv left that isn't possible really, so i think i'm going to have to ring up the doctors and ask for some more. The question is what do i say? Know it sounds stupid cos it's kinda obvious, but i mean what do you generally say when you ring for that kinda thing?

Comments

• Options
    make an appointment with your doctor and tell him/her what you've just said?
  • Options
    Can you not just ring up and say you want a repeat prescription or is it something you have to have an appointment with cos you have to have your weight and blood pressure checked?
  • Options
    If you havent had a prescription from your doctor for it before then you'll have to make an appointment to see them. You generally have to see the doctor or a nurse for it anyway so you can get your blood pressure checked.
  • Options
    squeal16 wrote:
    Can you not just ring up and say you want a repeat prescription or is it something you have to have an appointment with cos you have to have your weight and blood pressure checked?

You'll need to get checked because there are side effects with any medication.

After that you will be able to get the pill on repeat prescription with an occasional check up - usually six/twelve monthly.
  • Options
    After that you will be able to get the pill on repeat prescription with an occasional check up - usually six/twelve monthly.

You should actually never get the pill on repeat prescription. Most people get a six monthly prescription and then you go back to see the GP or preferably the nurse for a pill check to renew the prescription.
  • Options
    My surgery won't do repeat prescritions for the pill, and they always insist on taking my blood pressure and such like.
  • Options
    Yeah i always used to go to this clinic and each time i had have my weight and blood pressure taken but i didn't know if it would be the same at the doctors as iv never been for that kinda of thing, i thought you could maybe ring up and go get it. So would you make an appintment with a doctor or nurse?
  • Options
    :\

make an appointment with your doctor.

i would've thought your school would've explained this.
  • Options
    They probably did but i just like to check things to make sure.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    You should actually never get the pill on repeat prescription. Most people get a six monthly prescription and then you go back to see the GP or preferably the nurse for a pill check to renew the prescription.

Interesting. My wife always got hers on a three monthy basis and got a check up every six.

How will the 28 day prescription rule change affect this, do you think? Assuming you know about it that is. I wondering if this has filtered down to GP practices yet...
  • Options
    They gave me it for 3 months too and then a check up for the next time i needed some more. This time they gave me it for 6 months. I need some more very soon though.