Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Suing people

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have a question requiring some legal expertise;

I made out a loan and got the lady in question to sign a note that she would re-pay my money plus expenses as a result of me making a claim.

Since then she hasn't and now I want to sue her ass!

How shall I do that? She lives a few hours away would she have to go to my town County Courthouse or would I have to go there?
Is a note sufficient evidence of the debt to me?

Comments

• Options
    Alan wrote:
    I have a question requiring some legal expertise;

I made out a loan and got the lady in question to sign a note that she would re-pay my money plus expenses as a result of me making a claim.

Since then she hasn't and now I want to sue her ass!

How shall I do that? She lives a few hours away would she have to go to my town County Courthouse or would I have to go there?
    Is a note sufficient evidence of the debt to me?

Get some legal advice, tbh. The CAB are a good source.

You may "sue her ass" through the small claims court but depends on the amount of money..

Professional legal advice is what is needed.
  • Options
    Maybe you're right;
    I know its a small enough amount for small claims, but my Mum told me that it was relatively straightforward to file a claim at the County Court.

Which is why I'm seeking my legal advice for free, here! Maybe there's a law student floating around. Or even better a lawyer.
  • Options
    just out of interest, what has she said about not repaying you?
  • Options
    Saying she can't afford to pay me for ages and generally avoiding the subject. I was going to offer to give her time to pay instalments but I think it'd complicate the issue.
  • Options
    Sounds like a case for Judge Judy.
  • Options
    my mum has a friend called sue
  • Options
    Mist wrote:
    Sounds like a case for Judge Judy.

Exactly what I thought.

I heart Judge Judy. <333
  • Options
    Alan wrote:
    and now I want to sue her ass!

right on
  • Options
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    jake0 wrote:
    my mum has a friend called sue
    And mine has one named Yoko.
    :confused:
  • Options
    I'm sure this is exactly what that woman needs, she can't afford to pay you back right now so you sue her and make her poor and you richer. Can't you be patient and wait for her to get your money back to you or are you the kneecapping type?
  • Options
    You need to go and speak with a qualified legal professional, I'm afraid.

I could help you because I have limited knowledge of this, but it would be grossly unprofessional on my part. You need to seek legal advice from someone who is qualified to give it.

You won't have much chance if you tried to take interest from her though. The Consumer Credit Act specifies a certain form in which loan agreements should be made.
  • Options
    Silverberg wrote:
    I'm sure this is exactly what that woman needs, she can't afford to pay you back right now so you sue her and make her poor and you richer. Can't you be patient and wait for her to get your money back to you or are you the kneecapping type?
    Well, if you're nice enough to loan someone money in the first place the least they can do is pay you back on the arranged date. I'm sure Alan has bills to pay, why should he be crucified for his generosity?