Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

MP's summer reading habits

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Whilst trying to google a proper opinion survey I came across this little survey on MPs reading habits, which is pretty amusing

http://www.communicateresearch.com/poll.php?id=62

Pretty much cross party consensus on Harry Potter and the Da Vinci Code

Comments

• Options
    How ironic that the top book for Labour MPs is called "Mao"!
  • Options
    Two Dan Brown books in the top ten.

Just goes to show that MPs have no taste either.
  • Options
    How ironic that the top book for Labour MPs is called "Mao"!

How is that ironic?
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    How is that ironic?

Hmmm, let´s see. A centre-right political party whose most popular book is about a neo-fascist communist dictator. No irony there whatsoever.
  • Options
    So you're comparing Blair to Mao? :confused: Much as I dislike Blair, thats a teeny bit silly.
  • Options
    It is no business of mine what our MP's want to read in there spare time but I think they would all do better reading Jason Burke's The True Story Of Radical Islam. Harry Potter is for ten year olds.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Two Dan Brown books in the top ten.

Just goes to show that MPs have no taste either.
    Didn't he write Davinci code?

It's crap then?
  • Options
    It's not exactly challenging or profound literature. :D

But then again everyone likes a bit of escapism now and then. I know the Da Vinci Code tries to pass theories and speculations as the truth, but as a beach holiday reading novel it's very entertaining.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    It's not exactly challenging or profound literature. :D

But then again everyone likes a bit of escapism now and then. I know the Da Vinci Code tries to pass theories and speculations as the truth, but as a beach holiday reading novel it's very entertaining.
    Ahh OK, I heard it's very good... But maybe it's just a fashionable read (isn't it fashionable to slag off Christianity these days?).

I'm reading 1984... It's wonderful but not challenging. Very interesting.
  • Options
    It's fashionable, but that rarely makes it good. It's not bad as lit-lite. Zadie Smith is rather poor too, IMHO.

1984 is a good read, Orwell has a very simplistic writing style but gets everything across so well.

I think you'd like the Time-Traveller's Wife.
  • Options
    Ahh OK, I heard it's very good... But maybe it's just a fashionable read (isn't it fashionable to slag off Christianity these days?).

Its not really as simple as that, it basically says its true and then tells loads of lies about how Jesus had a brother and how the Vatican keeps it quiet and so on. Its supposed to be a good story but I dont like the way it has been sold as true.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Its not really as simple as that, it basically says its true and then tells loads of lies about how Jesus had a brother and how the Vatican keeps it quiet and so on. Its supposed to be a good story but I dont like the way it has been sold as true.
    I never knew Jesus had a brother, but I know there are a lot of extra scriptures that were found in Egypt that the catholic church won't accept. Actually, from what I've been reading, I can see the appeal of Gnostic Christianity.
    I think you'd like the Time-Traveller's Wife

What's that about?
  • Options
    Yeah, that's the main problem with it. Had he left the book at that, simply a work of fiction, he would have not been slagged off as he has.

Then again perhaps it was all a cynical plot to get as much publicity as possible... if that is the case it has work to perfection. Airport departure lougne thrillers are found aplenty. This title however has sold like biscuits.
  • Options
    Of course it was a cynical ploy. It's the oldest trick in the book- make up a pack of lies, sell it as true, and then watch the cash roll in as the people you are lying about get a bit narked about it.

The Time-Traveller's Wife is a love story at heart, but it's really good. It's not Mills-and-Boon, more Alice Sebold. One of the few books to make me cry.

Amazon page about it.
  • Options
    Looks like a decent read... The Orchid Thief is interesting.

Amazon

Who'd ever have known flowers were so cool.
  • Options
    At the risk of going totally off-topic I thought Jesus did have a brother (or at least Joseph and Mary had another son).

Never read the Da Vinci Code myself - I tend to find mystical conspiracy thrillers a tad boring.

ETA - with the exception of 'Flickers' which is a blending of a fictional/factual history of 30s horror film makers and the Cathar heresy.
  • Options
    Blagsta wrote:
    So you're comparing Blair to Mao? :confused: Much as I dislike Blair, thats a teeny bit silly.

No I´m not comparing them at all. I just think it´s funny that Labour´s top read is about Chairman Mao.