Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Staying with someone when they go to uni...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Cheers for the help people

Comments

• Options
    Long distance certainly strains relationships and universities are full of temptation. My girlfriend of five months wasn't willing to give it a go and left me before we both went to different universities, I think she wanted to move on from her difficult home situation and live the stereotypical university existance. My university girlfriend though, now we've left, is super keen on staying together despite the fact there's 2 hours on the train between us for at least the next year (and probably 2). A long distance relationship requires commitment from both parties and a huge dedication of time and effort. Personally, if I wasn't acknowledged as 'the boyfriend' I wouldn't consider it likely she'd remember me when in compromising situations and remain faithful. However, you know her better and it's your decision to make with the greater information. What I would say is that I believe, in the event this relationship doesn't work out, is that you'll find someone else equally as special too you as she is. Breaking up at 18 ain't the end of the world. It just seems like it.
  • Options
    Distance does make relationships hard, that's the truth.

That isn't a good enough reason to not give it a go, though. Unless one or both of the partners isn't that interested to start with, it's always worth a stab at it.

I was seeing my wife when I first went to uni, and we became a strong item despite the distance.
  • Options
    Im just about to go into a long distance r/ship, were not worried it will break us up were just worried that we will feel we need to see each other more. We have said we are definately going to see each other once a month, and when possible every fortnight. Im not too scared now, I know I love him, im not the kind to cheat so if I ever have the desire then I know its because Im not happy.
    We have been together for 9months, Im excited for uni im not going to let my r/ship stop me from meeting friends, nor am I going to stop my friends from me seeing my bf.
    you have to make a balance in my view.
  • Options
    my gf went off to uni a few years back, we kept it going and we'll be going 3 years next month. its possible that is if both parties can be failthful and work together to spend time together when they have the chance. it can work but nowadays a lot of uni goers are just out to party and fuck all around them...i know most of them
  • Options
    it can work but nowadays a lot of uni goers are just out to party and fuck all around them...i know most of them

thats very true! Loads of couples are splitting so they can sleep around, Im not that kind of person. What I have with my bf is worth too much just to throw away! I love him soooo much! it will be 10 months when we both start uni.