Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Maths

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I sat Standard Grade (GCSE?) Maths and got a 3/4 which meant an overall 3. I then sat Intermediate 2 in 5th year and got no award. I was all set to never do it again until I spoke to my mum's colleague's husband who is a teacher in another school. He said (on the phone) that although I've not to worry it would be advisable toattempt Maths again to get a better chance of being accepted to uni but to be honest I'd be really depressed in Maths. I have no confidence when it comes to x= the square root of a hippo's arse and to be honest it's a load of shit with no relevance to life outside school.

Just wondered if you all think that I should attempt it again or not.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Ok..
    i dont think it matters to be perfectly honest if you have maths or not unless you want to go into a science/medicine/similar career.
    Higher english is the one ALL unis want because it proves your competent at writing essays etc which is all useful for uni coursework.
    If you havent enjoyed it,dont bother with it again.
    My advice anyway...dunno if its helped or not.
  • Options
    Why don't you check the course requirments? I only needed Standard Grade Maths at a 3, so that's all I did.
  • Options
    Jazza wrote:
    I'd be really depressed in Maths.
    says it all really i think.
    what do your teachers think?
    i mean, maths is an important subject at school. i'm not quite sure what a grade 3 is, because i only really know the way the english system works... where you would need the equivelent of a grade C to do any further study. but i'd say unless you want to take maths further say at highers or a levels, as long as you make the average grade of a C (- or the equivelent)... then it doesn't really matter.
    and if doing it, just for the sake of it is going to have a knock on effect on your emotional health or if you cannot be bothered with studying it anyway - don't!
  • Options
    A grade 3 would probably be the english version of an average B
  • Options
    If you don't enjoy maths then you shouldn't study it.

At A'Level/Higher Level it takes a lot of dedication to study maths, and if you hate it its a waste of time and energy.

A maths qualification is an asset, but only a decent one. If you can't be arsed you won't get a decent one.
  • Options
    It's not that I can't be arsed really it's just I know I'll go in there and have not really much of a clue how to do the work. My teacher was supportive but he knew I couldn;t do the work either.

I e-mailed the university and the lecturer type person told me that they usually look for a minimum grade of 2 but if my other grades are good then they will accept a 3 :D

I already have two B's in Business Management and Computing so if I get B's in the Highers I'm doing this year it should be alright. If not I'll probably have to do a course at college.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I would definitely check the course requirements. There is no point in taking it if you won't get anywhere with it. It is a good Higher to have, no doubt about it, but there is no point studying it, putting a huge amount of pressure on your 6th year if you don't need to.

In my school there was one really clever girl who didn't do Higher Maths and she is now an occupational therapist! If you can get by without it then there is no real point.
  • Options
    You should not do maths. You wouldn't be interested so you wouldn't put in the effort and you'd come out with a poor grade. Get a good grade in something you are interested in instead.