Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Womens cycle

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Call me thick and stuff, but I dont know the monthly cycle :yeees:

I know that you ovulate and stuff, but dont know when! I didnt really take note in PSE lessons and stuff :angel: So can someone tell me/show me a site/info that I can learn from!?! :lol:

I know that you come on every month, but I dont know when you ovulate and stuff, I've got '14 days' stuck in my head like do you ovulate 14 days after you've come on?! Im confused :crazyeyes

Comments

• Options
    it confused me aswell
  • Options
    Would it not be different for every women?
  • Options
    I dont think so, but I could be wrong. Ovulation is the same (i think).. But like when people are trying for a baby, not everyone is the same e.g. women are most fertile on different days :confused:

Oh I dont no! :no:
  • Options
    Yep, my period lasts 6 days, some wonen's only last 3 it's different for everyone. Unfortunatly my body hates me and doesn't want me to have sex! :rolleyes:
  • Options
    mines weird, i bleed loads 1 day, then lightly for 2, then get this icky dark discharge for about 2 days after aswell :yuck:
    my 1st ever 1 lasted 10 days! :crazyeyes what a nice surprise.... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    mines weird, i bleed loads 1 day, then lightly for 2, then get this icky dark discharge for about 2 days after aswell :yuck:

Sure I read somewhere that they should only last for 2 - 8 days...

Mine tend to only last for about 4 days and are always very painful. And I have a habit of coming on at 1am...
  • Options
    Ok, well, what happens is that most women run on a 14 day cycle. When you ovulate is determined by the level of hormones. One of these hormones are released by the Pituitary gland at the bottom of your brain.

If we take day one as when a period starts, this is when the previous womb lining is breaking down, and takes up to 4 days. Without making it too complicated, different hormones come on at different stages, such as Oestrogen, which cause the lining of the womb to build up again- needed so the egg if fertilised would have somewhere to attach. At around halfway through the cycle, an egg is released (around day 14) and the womb lining and remains waiting for a fertilised egg. If no egg arrives, then the cycle restarts causing a period.

The main bit is that where I read the time an egg released is determined by the level of the hormones, and as such speeds it along. Which is why it takes longer for some people.

That's the biological side to it anyway.
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:

That's not wierd. I had my first period, lasted around the same as yours...then didn't have another for a year.

When you first start having periods that can be really arregular till they find a pattern, due to all the changes going on. Some people don't reach a regular pattern for years i.e. my dear self. And the way you describe it seems perfectly normal - you're gonna bleed more in the first few days anyway because, well it's the process starting out. As you have less and less, the period will get lighter and sometimes, quite often, you get the manky brown goop at the end. Lovely. :p It will be different for different lasses - some feel more pain, stomach cramps. I knew one girl who threw up the day she used to come on. It was odd...she would puke randomly in college lessons and then 'know'...something amiss there...

When I had to take the MAP (morning after pill) once, she worked out that I was on the last day of the higher likely period of time of getting period, according to when my last period was. So there is a certain time of the month that a lady has an increased likelyhood of getting pregnant.

Hope that helps - surely the site has some sheets or info? It shouldn't be hard to google info tbh.

Malt x :)
  • Options
    ooh so do you get the manky brown goop too?
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    ooh so do you get the manky brown goop too?

lol yes - and even more so now I'm on the pill. My periods are shortened to about 3-5 days now, and it is mainly brown goop!
  • Options
    lol yes - and even more so now I'm on the pill. My periods are shortened to about 3-5 days now, and it is mainly brown goop!
    yeah, mines really short, i probably get more brown goop at the end than blood alltogether! it's annoying waiting for it to go cause it takes forever
  • Options
    I get the goop - no worries there...