Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Together about 6 months, how much should I spend for his birthday?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My bf is moving out of his parents house soon into an apartment. I dont know exactly what he needs so I asked him if a gift certificate to Target or Walmart is fine and he said yeah. I just dont know how much to spend...... :confused:

But for my birthday, he got me 2 shirts, a concert ticket (for his favorite band, to go with him) , a cake, and he said he was going to get me spa treatments but that never happened. I'm sure he spent around $50. How much should I spend on him? I basically buy everything when we go places so will I be too cheap if I only spend $50 or $75 for his birthday???

Comments

• Options
    Spend what you feel comfortable spending. That's the best way, get him something he'll like, and it doesn't matter if it was $1 or $100. At least, it shouldn't.
  • Options
    I agree I think that thought is more important than money. For the first birthday of my boyfriend (ie the first one where we were going out) I did a treasure hunt around my house and garden of presents for him to find, each one with a clue that lead to the next present.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Wyetry wrote:
    I agree I think that thought is more important than money. For the first birthday of my boyfriend (ie the first one where we were going out) I did a treasure hunt around my house and garden of presents for him to find, each one with a clue that lead to the next present.

I did that too :D

Last year I hardly had any money at all. I must've only spent about £10 on his birthday because I just couldn't afford it. So I got a few little knick knacks and made him a cake, did a treasure hunt and we got a video and chinese or something. And it worked out really special because I put time and effort into it rather than just money.
  • Options
    after all, its the thought that counts!
  • Options
    Dont just get him tokens, that will be a bit crappy.

How much you spend totally depends on your budget, if you are rich and him poor then maybe a bit more than he spent, but if you are equal then spend about the same.

A couple of questions though;

- Why do you always buy things when you go out and about?

- Are you still clean?
  • Options
    my boyfriend didn't like the fact that i'd spent more on his birthday than he did on mine, must be a male thing. it really doesn't matter what you spend, it's the thought that goes into it.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Spend what you feel comfortable spending.
    :yes: agreed.
    the cheesy but true line is "its the thought that counts" ;)
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:

- Why do you always buy things when you go out and about?

- Are you still clean?

When we go out, I buy basically everything because he was in a bad situation with his credit card and he's in major debt now (which he's almost paid it off). On my birthday we went to breakfast and I paid for it. We havent gone out to eat lately because im sick of paying for it and not getting treated out (im not expecting to be treated out every night but once in a while couldnt hurt him). It's an interesting relationship. :crazyeyes

Yes. :D
  • Options
    Yes. :D

Woo! Woo! Yeah! Go you! And so on! Good news indeed, I'm really pleased.

Oh and good luck and all that with your boyfriend.