Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

50/50

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What does everyone think about the traditional views that men should pay for everything?

I've never had much money and have always viewed it that the girls I've been out with have had as much, and usually much more money then me and therefore htey can pay for themselves. This doesn't mean I don't ever treat them to a meal or something, but on general things such as holidays, a regular dinner out etc. I expect them to pay their share.

Some have been understanding, some have got the right hump having expected me to pay for everything. Ironically, it's always the girls who believe in equal rights that moan the most, they want to have a job and earn as much as men, but don't want to spend it on anyone but themselves.

What are your thoughts?
Is it right that men and women should pay equally?
Is the idea of men paying for everything outdated?

Comments

• Options
    me and my b.f split everything 50/50. but saying that he always wants to treat me to cinema, drinks, etc, however i dont let him that often as im quite independant! Also, dont want him to think im scrounging off him!
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    When we first started going out we didn't do things like "go dutch" whenever we go out. We didn't make sure it is a perfect 50/50 split either. What we will did is if we went out then I would pay one night. The next time we went out he paid etc. Same as if we went to a tourist-y thing. We don't pay separately, we are fairly mature with it all.

Neither of us are mean with our money, we are both sensible enough.

Now, however, it doesn't really matter as it all comes from the same pot.
  • Options
    When my gf came to visit me, I paid.
    When I went to visit her, she paid.

We basically took it in turns. When I was skint she helped, when she was skint I helped.

Now I don't care at all. We ask "shall I pay?" as a joke, because it all comes out of the same bank account anyway.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

We basically took it in turns. When I was skint she helped, when she was skint I helped.

Now I don't care at all. We ask "shall I pay?" as a joke, because it all comes out of the same bank account anyway.

Your way sounds good :)
  • Options
    I think me and my boyfriend both spend quite a bit on each other through food/presents. Sometimes we'll pay for ourselves and sometimes we'll pay for each other it just depends who's a bit skint at the time or if it's a treat for the other person.
  • Options
    whoever's got money will pay.

whether it's half and half isn't really important. it's not like either of us is trying to scam money out of the other one.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:

which reminds me, i still owe your missus coffee and breakfast
  • Options
    After being in a relationship where i paid for everything all the time and constantly lent money to the other half ive made damn sure that in the relationship im in now things are equal in moneytary terms.I would not take advantage of my boyfriend and his bank balance the way my ex did with me,it shows a complete lack of respect for him.
    Saying that,there are times when i'll pay for things for the both of us and vice versa.But neither of us rely on each other for money.
    Afterall im a young free independant woman thank you very much!
  • Options
    my gf wont let me pay for anything she always insists on paying for herself, i suppose it would be worse to have a gf who always expects me to pay
  • Options
    Hmm. We try and split it pretty much evenly, but sometimes it doesnt work out like that. At the moment things are tight for me and not the other half, but I've been told I should get used to it because it will be like that in the future, but I still feel bad.
  • Options
    we tend to spend around the same. sometimes we'll go dutch or generally one of us will pay for one thing and the other for something else. my boyfriend's in a full time job though and i'm at uni so i think he understands that i won't always be able to treat him. i'm quite stubborn and fiercely independant though so like to pay my way which annoys him!