Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i need to find a job :(

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i joined an agency for nursing work 2 months ago at least now. they keep telling me more and more things i need to do and on friday they sent me on a first aid course saying that i would be able to start working this week. they have now said i have to attend another course on september 6th before i can start. thats another 3 weeks. i have had no money since may 20th.
when i joined the agency i was told i would be working within 3 weeks. i have also applied to ntl but heard nothing back from them.

i have looked around town for jobs but no where wants anyone as all the jobs hae been taken by students back from uni for the summer.

where can i get a job? i need help. i have been to the job centre but to be honest they are not helpful and they only jobs they have are 3 hours a week, far away and shit pay.

im ready and willing to work, to do anything except work in a supermarket (i know i shouldnt turn anythign down but i can not work in a supermarket ever again, i would go crazy) but i cannot find a job :(

Comments

• Options
    Well, you know what we're gonna say about supermarkets...

Anyway, a month, and the students are gone, start going round places that would have taken on uni students and asking for jobs as soon as they've gone back.
  • Options
    Iv been looking for a job since the start of June and I have had no luck either, iv even applied at my local supermarkets but they are over staffed!!!!!
    Oh the crapness :(
  • Options
    There are squillions of places to look for jobs. Try local pubs/restaurants/takeaways. Babysitting/Housesitting/Dogsitting. You'd be surprised how just walking in somewhere and asking can land you with a job. Ask any friends to recommend you/ask if there's any vacancies where they work.
  • Options
    RudeBwoy wrote:
    Iv been looking for a job since the start of June and I have had no luck either, iv even applied at my local supermarkets but they are over staffed!!!!!
    Oh the crapness :(

ive been trying since the middle of may. it sucks. no where wants anyone.
    i cant wait another month, i need money now. im over my over draft and literally have no money wat so ever!
  • Options
    reed.co.uk or monster.co.uk or your local paper

theres lots of websites if you search.

Just apply for anything!! i did and i have an interview at egg 2moro, fingers crossed!
  • Options
    I must of applied at over 100 jobs, had 2 interviews and about 5 rejections.
    Im over my overdraft too Mr BB, dont worry your not alone.
    I spoke to the Job Centre and apparently im not entitled to claim anything because I left my last job volutarily as it was causing depression.
  • Options
    Actually, i used to work for a nursing agency here in derby, although i was head of payroll.

there is loadsa things your file needs before they work you, otherwise they are breaking the law....its annoyin, i had 2 yrs of ppl moaning about it but its not really the agencys fault, only them sayin that theres just one more thing 3 million times! Thats if its NHS if its private nursing homes they don't need as much stuff for your file.

Join other agencies too you might have more luck!
  • Options
    Dinted wrote:
    Actually, i used to work for a nursing agency here in derby, although i was head of payroll.

there is loadsa things your file needs before they work you, otherwise they are breaking the law....its annoyin, i had 2 yrs of ppl moaning about it but its not really the agencys fault, only them sayin that theres just one more thing 3 million times! Thats if its NHS if its private nursing homes they don't need as much stuff for your file.

Join other agencies too you might have more luck!

i understand that they have loads of stuff they need to legally get done. but they could be doign more at the same time. like i had to go on a training course and yesterday had to watch some videos, i could have done that while i was waiting for my references to come back.
    urgh im just annoyed!
  • Options
    RudeBwoy wrote:
    Im over my overdraft too Mr BB, dont worry your not alone.
    I spoke to the Job Centre and apparently im not entitled to claim anything because I left my last job volutarily as it was causing depression.

its Mrs BB lol
    i am claiming job seekers but its not gettin me out of my over draft :( im not spending money on stuff, dont get me wrong, but my parents keep demanding rent!
  • Options
    its Mrs BB lol
    i am claiming job seekers but its not gettin me out of my over draft :( im not spending money on stuff, dont get me wrong, but my parents keep demanding rent!

Oops sorry Mrs BB, my mistake :rolleyes:
    At least your allowed to get job seekers, its better than nothing so dont knock it.
    Your parents should understand that its not your fault nobody is employing at the moment, my mum stopped asking me for rent when I left my job so thats nice of her. But i still have about £350 a month to pay in bills which at the moment just isnt happening (i wish) lol
  • Options
    have you tried normal agencies?

they don't normally have anything deadly exciting, but they should have something to keep you going until the nursing agency can sort you out. failing that, try job sites or job papers.

you might have to swallow your pride and do a job you're far from keen on, especially at this time of year. just keep reminding yourself it's only for a few weeks, and it's all money.

good luck :thumb:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    have you tried normal agencies?

they don't normally have anything deadly exciting, but they should have something to keep you going until the nursing agency can sort you out.
    So, has anyone found agencies to be any good then? I'm with Office Angels, Reed, Susan Hamilton Group and another politicky one (and used to be with one called Burton, Bolton & Rose) and NOT ONE has found me anything....
  • Options
    tbh its gonna depend on your location, time of season, and type of work you're looking for........reed may be crap in northampton for secretarial work, but good in london for i.t. jobs..........i have only experience with spring personnel and reed, and in both cases i was replying to specific ads they placed so got into the job fairly quickly.......spring seemed pretty crap at getting me work once i'd finished the placement, but didn't really care as i went back to uni..........ho hum, not much help am i.......perserverance is the key, and if your desperate snobbery will get you nowhere.......
  • Options
    I too am lookin for a job, preferely an online job. Where I could work home, because i'll be taking 5 courses, and the places I checked out, didnt please me, I did apply at a library, but unfortunately i had to turn them down, because it was year round and would need me for a good amount. But I havnt had one Freakin JoB, since i was born, well if you count doing someones landscaping , than i did lol. but im 23, moneyless and jobless. so if you know anyone who is willing to pay for, say a Layout or something.. let me know... any help is appricated. (spelling stinks i know)
  • Options
    Instead of a nursing agency, why not apply to your loca hospital to the Nurse Bank??
  • Options
    Meryn wrote:
    So, has anyone found agencies to be any good then? I'm with Office Angels, Reed, Susan Hamilton Group and another politicky one (and used to be with one called Burton, Bolton & Rose) and NOT ONE has found me anything....

there is another general agency in town...but they dont want anyone cos all the students have already taken all their places already!
  • Options
    Panthro wrote:
    Instead of a nursing agency, why not apply to your loca hospital to the Nurse Bank??

because if i apply to a hospital i'll have to wait for another criminal check and another set of references and it'll be october before i get anywhere!
  • Options
    apollo_69 wrote:
    and if your desperate snobbery will get you nowhere.......

I am not being a snob and i would appreciate you not judging me. i cannot work in a supermarket, i would walk out after a few weeks, i couldnt handle it, so why waste my time going for a job i couldnt do when someone else could have it!
  • Options
    there is another general agency in town...but they dont want anyone cos all the students have already taken all their places already!

the students will all be leaving pretty soon though... even if it only gets you a couple of weeks work, it'll be a few hundred squids you didn't have before.
    Meryn wrote:

my agency found me work whenever i wanted it. never the best jobs or anything, but it fed me for a few weeks.

the trick is to keep nagging them. if you just sign up and leave them to it, they'll forget about you. but if you pop in or ring up a couple of times a week, they'll either keep you in mind, or they'll get so sick of you they'll find you anything just to stop you calling ;)
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:

the trick is to keep nagging them. if you just sign up and leave them to it, they'll forget about you. but if you pop in or ring up a couple of times a week, they'll either keep you in mind, or they'll get so sick of you they'll find you anything just to stop you calling ;)

ive been in and rung and everything else i can think of but none of it seems to make any differnce. they have now told me that they have people on the books who registered before me and its their priority to send them out first!
    when i joined they said they were desperate for staff....so why am i still sitting around waiting to go out?!
  • Options
    don't give up, something will come along. why don't you sign up to those other ones now and then while the criminal checks and stuff are coming through you can keep looking?