Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

prozac, psychiatrists and that lot

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basicly, I'm aparently much worse than i first thought.

and i've been told in need urgent(ish) treatment.

It's still at a stage where i still have the end say in what happens to me, but i've been asked to go see a psych person plus i've been asked to re think about taking prozac, which at the moment i'm very much against because i've had so many friends end up on that stuff and either get worse and try and commit suicide, or become complete zombies.

Any info on that would be great...

Plus: I've been also told to stop taking any kind of painkillers for anything but known physical injuries like sprains and for my period pains. I'm in quite a lot of pain which i've now been told is psycho-symatic, and just telling myself that the pain isn't real isn't making it go away...what can i do??

thanks

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Hi twisted trinity

Really sorry to hear about what you're going through - you might have seen my thread in this forum - I'm in a similar situation to you too atm.

I too have been told I'm in need of urgent treatment and a professional diagnosis of what seems to be OCD/Depression. Also in a similar situation to you too re the painkillers...

I'm really wary of meds as part of my problem is around the side effects they may cause so I can understand your reluctance to do so too.

However, that said my boyfriend has been taking prozac for over 12 months now - and apart from a little insomnia at first and attacks of yawning he manages really well on it - he's on a high dose and its reduced the symptoms he was suffering before really well.

Sorry that's not much help I know.

In terms of the pain there's lots of 'natural' things you could try to ease any symptoms or thoughts of symptoms you might have. If it's head pain try '4head' which is a menthol stick you rub on to your temples if you have a headache - or you could try stuff like warm lavender baths and chamomile tea - all of which will relax you and maybe ease some of the struggle...

Hope you're doing ok - take care - and sorry if that's not much use to you. I do understand what you're going through though.

Love cavegirl
    xxx
  • Options
    only bad side effecti had was it made it near impossible to orgasm :crying:
  • Options
    Tweety wrote:
    only bad side effecti had was it made it near impossible to orgasm :crying:
    theres no way i'm going on it then, orgasms are the one thing that makes me feel so much better. I need to go talk to my doctor about it all, and unless i saw some over whelming stats that showed that it could help me, i'm still against taking it. Yeah it does work for some people, but i just see it as an easy way out, i'm not saying it is for everyone else but for me it feels like it would be. Plus the thought of being numb scares me shitless.
  • Options
    we can't tell you how you'll react to prozac. i'm a little surprised they suggested that as a first resort for a minor when it is one of the ones with a dodge reputation, although i accept they are doctors and i'm not, so....

it could be the best decision you ever made. it could be the worst. for me it wasn't good, and i am still getting AD side effects years after coming off them, but other people will tell you how they saved their lives and never had any effects. such is the nature of treatment. in a way i'm glad i did take them, cause if i hadn't, and they had worked, i'd never have known. it's something to think about. and discuss your concerns with your doc - they have more answers than us.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    There are so many people that take anti depressants nowadays - far more than actaully need to be on it. Quite often people find it hard to come off them because they've got it in their minds that they need them when they don't. My sister admits that she should have never gone on them despite the fact that's what the doctor had advised.

There are often much more effective ways to battle depression such as changing your diet and sleeping patterns.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    theres no way i'm going on it then, orgasms are the one thing that makes me feel so much better. I need to go talk to my doctor about it all, and unless i saw some over whelming stats that showed that it could help me, i'm still against taking it. Yeah it does work for some people, but i just see it as an easy way out, i'm not saying it is for everyone else but for me it feels like it would be. Plus the thought of being numb scares me shitless.

Have a think about it & a chat with a professional. It did help me but i was on one other years ago which i felt normal taking. I do thing prozac can make you feel a bit odd to start but everyones different. Perhaps you could ask for a different AD if you really don't want to take it OR try it & if you don't like it change.
  • Options
    Hrm... I've been on around three different anti-depressents and Prozac/Fluoxitine was the one that helped me the most actually, although that was alongside therapy too (I was in a unit for three months of it and watched a lot). I think it's something you need to consider before you take and also, remember that the experience is slightly different for everybody.

You're not defeated if you go on anti depressents either.
  • Options
    i guess you could always start to take the drug. if it doesn't suit you then you can come off it. i think the idea of medication like that is to try and help you feel better anyway... so if it manages to do that for you, then surely its worth a shot, to see how you feel taking it?!
  • Options
    I'm not getting any better, and i know that i need help, i'm incredibly scared about being numb, i'd much rather feel shit than feel numb. And i got addicted to painkillers before so, it's very likely i'd get addicted to ADs.

is there an article on prozac that i could have a look at??
  • Options
    is there an article on prozac that i could have a look at??

Yes, there are many. Try google perhaps, and search TheSite archives as well as their information on mental health. I was going to post some links but they're pretty easy to find yourself.
  • Options
    rachie004 wrote:
    I didn't think they put people so young on prozac.. :confused:
    I started prozac when i was around 15/16 and used it until I was about 20.
  • Options
    <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi twisted_trinity

Sorry to hear you've got so much going on at the moment - this antidepressant overview might shed a bit more light on the different treatments available.

Take care
  • Options
    I'm in the same position and until I had a severe allergic reaction to it the Prozac was really helping me. After the side-effects stopped and they kicked in properly I felt so much better than I had for ages. I say give it a try. As Kaff says, none of us know how you'll react. Dont' assume it's a miracle cure, and don't assume it won't work. Try it with an open mind.

You know where I am if you need me.
    x
  • Options
    I have been diagnosed with manic depression about 7 yrs ago. I was prescribed Prozac and other meds to deal with the situation. Unfortunately for me Prozac had some severe side effects. The worst beeing unable to reach orgasm and decreased libido. I told my doc who then prescribed something else. Bottom line is, do try it and see how it affects you.
  • Options
    I was BPD, I was on prozac, it saved my life. And so on.

It made it impossible to orgasm through sex, it did make me feel a bit numb, but it didnt make me feel woolly. It did make GWST feel very woolly.

I'd suggest you try it, it might work for you, but it won't work for you if you don't want it to.
  • Options
    labrini wrote:
    The worst beeing unable to reach orgasm and decreased libido. I told my doc who then prescribed something else. Bottom line is, do try it and see how it affects you.

Sorry if I'm out of line, but when you said 'severe side effects' I assumed you meant something detrimental to your health. Loss of libido is a side effect of a lot of medication and if that's the most 'severe' side effect you had then you were very lucky.
  • Options
    I experiance the majority of those side effects on that link that imaginary dreamer gave, so i wonder if it would make them worse.

i really really don't want to take prozac, but i do really want all this to stop, it's gone on for so long now and i fed up of not being happy. I feel like screaming at myself because of it.
  • Options
    Surely if things are so bad you need prozac-not having an orgasm shouldnt be in your priorities???
  • Options
    lack of sex drive is really common with most antidepressants, but thats better than being depressed surely. If you havent got the sex drive then you wont miss it. Obviously its more of a problem if youre in a relationship, but not insurmountable.
  • Options
    Well I do think that lack of sex drive and the unability to orgasm as severe side effects. I do however think that beeing depressed is far worse. I also believe that you should try diff. types of anti depressants in order to find one that best suits you. IMO it should be the one with the least side effects.
  • Options
    labrini wrote:
    Well I do think that lack of sex drive and the unability to orgasm as severe side effects.

:eek2:
  • Options
    lack of sex drive is really common with most antidepressants, but thats better than being depressed surely.
    :yes: that is exactly what i was thinking.
    (... well unless you are a sex addict of course... :p )