Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

google: the hypochondriac's nemesis

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i've just scared myself a bit. i made the mistake of tapping a symptom into google and almost every result was a breast cancer site.

i know that google isn't exactly the fountain of all medical knowledge, and that searching for individual symptoms is a really shit idea, and yet i can't resist a quick search.

does anyone else do this? why do we do it to ourselves? what is the strangest disease you've convinced yourself you had after googling symptoms?

after googling 'chest pains', my ex housemate convinced herself without doubt that she was having a heart attack, despite being in her early twenties and pretty healthy. even to the point when she ended up getting an ambulance out cause she thought she was dying. turned out to be indigestion. :yeees: i don't think the paramedics were very impressed.

Comments

• Options
    I always search whatever medication I'm on on google. And then get 134875023460248760 side effects, which I convince myself I'm getting :yeees:
  • Options
    I'm glad i'm not the only one that does this :p

I've convinced myself, well rather my mother did(!) that i had an etopic pregnancy, and jus about every form of cancer going. So now i just resist the urge and bung a couple of nurofen down my throat.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Only once have I done something like that and it was to find out about a disease. My mum had been quite ill and they told her that although the tests say otherwise they thought she had carcinoids syndrome. They didn't tell her much about it though. So google was my friend. I searched it and found out it wasn't very good and the prognosis wasn't great and that she would only have about a year to live! Needless to say I managed to scare the whole family!

Seriously though, imagine telling her that she had this disease, even though the test results said that she didn't, and not telling her anything about it.
  • Options
    I haven't done it for myself but I've trawled the internet through and through in a vain attempt to find out what the hell is wrong with Mr M.

I think the worst one was when I convinced myself he had pancreatic cancer and less than 5 years to live.
  • Options
    I make use of the small library of books kept at work (a GPs surgery), ask colleagues for advice, search the NHS Direct website or use the BNF website for drug side effects etc. Recently I was started on some medication and I did a search on TheSite Health Forum (this one :P) to avoid asking the same thing again and found loads of helpful topics.

In general I think most things are common sense and google is bound to scare people.

I've had pain in my armpit for a couple of weeks now and on House last week they said it was a symptom of cancer. I kinda freaked and started poking around only to realise it was because I'd cut myself shaving (lol).
  • Options
    Using google for medical information is pointless.

When I want to find something out I just fire off an email to NHS direct and they give me loads of info.

Chest pains would come out as a heart attack in many cases. When I get indigestion I get shooting pains in my left side, and the wife says she's call an ambulance for me if I rang her up at work.
  • Options
    When I got 'Cat Scratch Fever' I looked it up on the net because I didnt know what the hell it was. Quite informative it was too.
  • Options
    I think the point is that it can clearly be very useful if you know what's wrong with you. Otherwise it really isn't so helpful.
  • Options
    BumbleBee wrote:
    I've had pain in my armpit for a couple of weeks now and on House last week they said it was a symptom of cancer. I kinda freaked and started poking around only to realise it was because I'd cut myself shaving (lol).

that was actually the subject of my googling today. both my armpits have permanently swollen lymph nodes (going on for years now), and the left one is always sore. i've mentioned this to various doctors a few times and they've not been too bothered, but the most recent time, she had a poke, looked worried, and said i needed an ultrasound asap.

as if that's not enough to make you shit yourself without google telling you you've probably got advanced cancer :grump:
  • Options
    My scar on the back of my hand became skin cancer. I didn't do anything about it though, just resigned myself to impending death.

Still here 12 months later :thumb:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    that was actually the subject of my googling today. both my armpits have permanently swollen lymph nodes (going on for years now), and the left one is always sore. i've mentioned this to various doctors a few times and they've not been too bothered, but the most recent time, she had a poke, looked worried, and said i needed an ultrasound asap.

as if that's not enough to make you shit yourself without google telling you you've probably got advanced cancer :grump:

My girlfriend had a similar pain, which went away when she, on the advice of her doctor, changed brand of contraceptive pill.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    My girlfriend had a similar pain, which went away when she, on the advice of her doctor, changed brand of contraceptive pill.

mine pre-dates me starting the pill, and i've since changed brands twice with no effect. i remember having the soreness when i was still at school, so we're getting on for about 10 years.

surely if it was serious, i would be dead by now?
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    mine pre-dates me starting the pill, and i've since changed brands twice with no effect. i remember having the soreness when i was still at school, so we're getting on for about 10 years.

surely if it was serious, i would be dead by now?

You say its in your glands right? Does it come and go accompanied by periods of feeling a bit run down?
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    You say its in your glands right? Does it come and go accompanied by periods of feeling a bit run down?

the doctor who prodded me said it was my axillary lymph node. she said they both felt odd, but only one of them is painful. it varies in soreness over time, but doesn't ever get totally pain-free. Sometimes it's so sore it throbs and hurts just to have my arms down, but usually i can only feel it when i touch it or i'm wearing a top with tight armholes. I feel run down permanently (over the last year or so) and it's accompanied by a whole host of weird and wonderful symptoms that have totally foxed the doctors.
  • Options
    I got a really bad chest pain last week that wouldn't go away after about an hour, so i paniced and thought that i'd done something to my lung. some people weren't very happy when it turned out to be a stitch.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I don't need google, thesite does that job well enough. I can't even count the threads of people I've read in this very forum saying things they have, that have made me think "Oh no! I could have the same!".
  • Options
    Hehe! :) Ive diagnosed myself with a million things on google! Its soo easy to freak yourself out.
  • Options
    i managed to convince myself i had ovary cysts once - about 2 weeks before my period i get pretty bad pains where my ovarys are, i think this is normal but i still freaked myself out :blush:
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    the doctor who prodded me said it was my axillary lymph node. she said they both felt odd, but only one of them is painful. it varies in soreness over time, but doesn't ever get totally pain-free. Sometimes it's so sore it throbs and hurts just to have my arms down, but usually i can only feel it when i touch it or i'm wearing a top with tight armholes. I feel run down permanently (over the last year or so) and it's accompanied by a whole host of weird and wonderful symptoms that have totally foxed the doctors.

I mention it because it has echo's of an occasional condition I have, basically when I am fighting an infection my gland at the top of my leg swells up and get sore. It is normally occompanied by a feeling of being run down. My doctor said that the likely cause is a very large production of white blood cells to fight of the infection.
  • Options
    Closest I ever got to doing something like you lot have mentioned is, a while back I posted a thread on here about me being obsessed with washing my hands. Some people on here and dad mentioned something about OCD. So, I typed that into google to find out more about it. Did also look on here as well.