Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Mo Mowlam dies

It's a real shame to see one of the only New Labour politicians with some morals die, especially after she'd fought so long and so well against her cancer.

I hope she's resting in peace.

Story.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Oh :(
  • Options
    RIP.
    I really liked Mo Mowlam.
  • Options
    Another member of the Labour party who I thought had actual real life morals, I may not agreed with her but you could respect her. A sad loss.
  • Options
    She was in my local hospice, you should have seen the tributes which poured in over the past few days...

RIP.

... and I can't believe that that shit of a PM had the temerity to say what he did. If he really held her in high esteem, why did he shit on her from such a great height. Cunt.
  • Options
    Indeed.

RIP.
  • Options
    Rip
  • Options
    It's a sad loss. She was a very genuine woman. :(
  • Options
    Very sad, like Cook especially so as she's died so young. She seemed very down-to-earth unlike most politicans who seem so far apart from the real world. A real shame and loss. RIP.
  • Options
    i thought mo mowlam was well cool and not forgetting she helped the NI situation too :)
  • Options
    Talking of cunts
    Ian Paisley:
    She was, of course, no lover of unionists. Stating that convicted murders were unsung heroes of the peace process caused great offence.

He's never one to let hatred get in the way, is he?
  • Options
    He's never one to let hatred get in the way, is he?

Dont worry good old shouting Ian Paisley wont last much longer.
  • Options
    Apparently she once told him to "Fuck Off". :)
  • Options
    Apparently she once told him to "Fuck Off". :)

If only all the voters would too.
  • Options
    R.I.P. Mo :(
  • Options
    Mo Mowlam also did a wicked programme on channel 2, sorting students lives out. She was funny as hell.

RIP Mo
  • Options
    Rip.
  • Options
    RIP. A very decent human being by all accounts. :(
  • Options
    Survived Ted Bundy and died at home. Good woman, interesting life and over far too soon.

RIP.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It's a real shame to see one of the only New Labour politicians with some morals die, especially after she'd fought so long and so well against her cancer.

I hope she's resting in peace.

Story.

I met her once, she was made of so much win :crying:
  • Options
    Rip.
  • Options
    Very saddening to see this, and very saddening to yet again see the Prime Minister exploiting the occasion for his own sake. He broke away from his holiday, (where it is, we are not allowed to know, presumably to hide the self-important deluded fool away from the eyes of the press) when he said in a statement: "[She was] great company, utterly irreverent, full of life and fun. Yet behind that extraordinary front presented to the world was one of the shrewdest political minds I ever encountered. She was a natural politician, could read a situation and analyse and assess it as fast as anyone."

Bit rich coming from a man with no political principles of his own, isn't it? I hope Mo rests in peace.
  • Options
    I don't see the problem with what Blair said. She was a very clever politician, and she was important to the early New Labour party.

I don't know what Paisley is whingeing about. She pissed McGuinness off more by always calling him "love" in negotiations, even though she knew he hated it.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    RIP.

She was great.
  • Options
    Whilst I'm sorry she died (and at such a young age) lets not overdo about how brilliant she was.

Calling Martin McGuiness 'love' even though he hated it - is not a great negotiating tactic. And throwing your wig around to lighten the mood may be amusing if you're discussing the organisation of the office party. It may not be so amusing if you're discussing how to bring an end to terrorist campaigns which have led to the death of 3000 people - especially given that many of the people in the room knew people who'd been killed. How fucking hillarious... Perhaps she ought to have gone round a few of the cemetries and squirted mourners with water-pistols - that probably would have had them all rolling in the aisles in England.

Things got so bad that David Trimble wouldn't even talk to her face to face. This is some achievement as he managed to even mumble a few words to Sinn Fein/IRA and went into Government with them, so its not like he's that choosy.

She became more and more sidelined by Blair, who took over direct control of the negotiations, not because she was more popular than him, but because she was wrecking the chances the whole chance of a peace agreement.

Sorry she's dead - but let's not rewrite history.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Whilst I'm sorry she died (and at such a young age) lets not overdo about how brilliant she was.

Calling Martin McGuiness 'love' even though he hated it - is not a great negotiating tactic. And throwing your wig around to lighten the mood may be amusing if you're discussing the organisation of the office party. It may not be so amusing if you're discussing how to bring an end to terrorist campaigns which have led to the death of 3000 people - especially given that many of the people in the room knew people who'd been killed. How fucking hillarious... Perhaps she ought to have gone round a few of the cemetries and squirted mourners with water-pistols - that probably would have had them all rolling in the aisles in England.
    I think you're getting the wrong end of the stick. It is precisely because of her highly unorthodox approach coupled with her sincerity that made the agreement possible. That she did all those things, and many others such as calling McGuinness "cunt" or telling Ian Paisely to "fuck off" does not mean she did not appreciate the situation and the deaths and misery it has meant for the people of the region.

She had the balls to go and speak to paramilitaries from both sides doing time in The Maze, against the advice of everyone else in government and the protests of Unionists and Sinn Feinn alike. Not because she admired or liked them, but because she understood a successful agreement would have to be ratified by all parties concerned, or it would not have a chance.

And she was proven right at the end. The simple truth is that if she had not been around there would have been no agreeement and the Troubles would still be in full swing.