Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Trust as an issue

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Do you trust people easily or does it take you a very long time to let your guard down?

The only reason i'm asking i suppose is because i'm curious and because i keep getting told i'm a cold hearted bitch and i'm beginning to question whether i take the cynical side of things a bit too seriously. I'm not actually that bad a person really i just take the straight forward path and call a spade a spade. I'm not going to change because i really don't see that it's that much of a problem as usually i'm a pretty good judge of character and can see when someone's playing it along.

I trust very few people and when in relationships/dating i have probably only fully trusted one person in my entire 10 years of dating. Now i'm not saying they're all hideously horrible blokes because they're not, the majority were decent enough lads but it's got to the point now where i think every bloke has the ulterior motive and find it very hard to trust/relax my guard with any bloke. Is anyone else like this or do people find they trust too easily because most of my friends do, i seem to be the odd one out :)

Comments

• Options
    i dont trust people easily either, at the moment theres only 2 people i trust completly.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    Do you trust people easily or does it take you a very long time to let your guard down?
    i find it really hard to trust anyone or get close to anyone or let my guard down with anyone. esp. guys, but then i've had a pretty messed up past. i cannot ever talk to anyone really, and every single day i'm in an act of 'how to pretend i'm 100% okay all of the time.' tbh i don't think i ever learned how to trust or be open with anyone. i don't think anybody really knows me... and most of the time i think if they did then they would probably hate me... so i keep my distance from everyone; even if i'm with "friends"... guess, i've been hurt a lot. but no. i don't trust people easily at all. i wish i could though, because it gets in the way of everything all of the time, and it is a huge issue for me. :(
  • Options
    It depends on the person, there's a few people I know I can trust and there's loads of people I can't trust.
  • Options
    I trust noone but my mum and dad.
    Everyone else has shit on me from a big height when ive trusted them with something.
  • Options
    It's hard to trust every one, aslong as you trust your most loved ones thats what matters!
    I trust my step dad, mum, brothers, few of my friends, and my boyfriend.
    Don't trust my dad, hes selfish! few of my friends I dont know so well, and they have hurt me in the past. Although people change, somethings you cannot forgive, but try not to distrust people just as others have done something wrong.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    I'm somewhere in the middle. I trust people I don't know well enough, but I don't trust them enough to tell them things that I consider very personal. And although I can push it to the very edge of my mind, I can never get rid of the idea that people might betray me once more.
  • Options
    I usually do not think a lot in this issue, but i think im the sort of person that is more reluctant than honest.
  • Options
    i dont know whats interesting/more humerous, surprising myself or other people, when i stop been cynical for a second or two
  • Options
    I used to be very trusting, but I've been betrayed by so many people that I only trust a very small handful of people now and even they dont know everything.
  • Options
    I used to be very trusting, but I've been betrayed by so many people that I only trust a very small handful of people now and even they dont know everything.

Exactly the same with me.
  • Options
    Carolina wrote:
    It's taking me a hell of a long time to let my guard down. As a result, I'm not as close to someone I know that I'd like to be. :(
  • Options
    I think I'm too trusting, has backfired in the past though. I 'spose I just like to try and see the best in people :chin:
  • Options
    I've always been good at picking loyal boyfriends who I know won't stray so I can't say a man's ever hurt me. Tbh it's been my girl "friends" who've pissed me off in the past.