Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Foundation Degree?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Got a question for the students. Has anyone here taken a foundation degree? And if so, what was it like?

See, I've found a beautiful little course at my local college and am thinking of applying. Only, I have no idea of what a Foundation Degree entails, what it does and how it works...

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. Ta, Ilora x
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Thats great youve found something you like the sound of.
    I found this page : http://www.foundationdegree.org.uk/faq/
    Hope it helps.
  • Options
    Oooh that's brilliant!!

Ta very muchly :) Ilora x
  • Options
    Isn't it the equivilant of a HND? A course you take as a pre requisite to getting on to a real degree?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Isn't it the equivilant of a HND? A course you take as a pre requisite to getting on to a real degree?
    According to unis4mk.ac.uk, the foundation degree is the same as the first 2 years of a degree. If you study a further year, you automatically gain a degree. Which in my case would be a 'BA Media Performance'...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Its the same with a HND for (most) uni's. Though for some stupid reason i had a merit at HND but only got one year knocked off my BA degree. If i'd gone to Birmingham i could have finished by now! :mad:
  • Options
    As far as I know, foundation degrees are done before a degree, and aren't the equivalent of the first two years of a degree. Two of my housemates were doing foundation degrees, and it was for before a BA degree, not in place or instead of part or all of it. They weren't allowed student bank accounts, student loans, nothing, because it was for before a degree, not towards it.
  • Options
    "One further year’s study will lead to the BA Media Performance" - which implies that after this 2 year foundation degree and another year studying, you gain a degree...? so basically, it's a degree in 3 years..

So, in theory, the foundation degree is practically 2 years of the degree? Or at least, thats what it seems to me lol.

Whatever, I don't mind - as long as I get onto the course, I don't care what it is or isn't the equivalent of!

(I phoned Unis4mk today, and was told that this course isn't running this year - there was no call for it apparently. :banghead:

Well, I'm bloody well calling for it!!!! Fingers crossed it is on next year.)

Ilora x
  • Options
    it says on the website its an employment related higher education thingummybob with flexible studying.
    It sounds good anyway. You probably do get a certain number of points towards a degree though, same as the course im doing - you can top it up to a full degree later.
  • Options
    "One further year’s study will lead to the BA Media Performance" - which implies that after this 2 year foundation degree and another year studying, you gain a degree...? so basically, it's a degree in 3 years..

So, in theory, the foundation degree is practically 2 years of the degree? Or at least, thats what it seems to me lol.

Whatever, I don't mind - as long as I get onto the course, I don't care what it is or isn't the equivalent of!

(I phoned Unis4mk today, and was told that this course isn't running this year - there was no call for it apparently. :banghead:

Ilora x
    Most basic BA/BSc degrees are three years, unless they have work placements and the like in them.
  • Options
    They weren't allowed student bank accounts, student loans, nothing, because it was for before a degree, not towards it.

What financial help can I expect to receive?

Foundation Degrees are like any other higher education qualification and financial support is available. To find out more, you should access information through the HE students gateway at student support or go to www.aimhigher.info

Ilora x
  • Options
    it says on the website its an employment related higher education thingummybob with flexible studying.
    It sounds good anyway. You probably do get a certain number of points towards a degree though, same as the course im doing - you can top it up to a full degree later.
    Yep, exactly!

"On completion of a Foundation Degree students will have 240 credits at the higher level. A full honours degree would be 360 credits."

Ilora x
  • Options
    Ilora x
    I'm just saying how it was with my 2 housemates thats all.
  • Options
    "

Ilora x
    make sure your name is down then, or there wont be a calling for it then either!
    or find out if any other unis nearby have it, even outside of MK.
  • Options
    When I applied to do a Foundation Degree... it meant I had to do an extra year at the start of the course, making it 4 years and not the original 3. That was for Computer Science.
  • Options
    make sure your name is down then, or there wont be a calling for it then either!
    or find out if any other unis nearby have it, even outside of MK.
    Yeah, they took all my details and said they'd tell the head of the Art department that I have registered interest in the course.

I seriously hope to God (and I'm an athiest lol) that more people register interest in it. I've looked long and hard for any form of makeup artistry course in Milton Keynes and surrounding areas, but to no avail.

I'm thinking now, of re-doing my portfolio and re-applying for a 1 year Art Foundation Course to use the next year to my advantage.
    But, I was rejected at interview last Oct for the Art course. So fingers crossed.

Thanks for all people's replies :)

Ilora x