Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Three Irish women going to the ECHR on abortion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Continuing with my fertility theme and all things uterine, this story is a few days old, but worth mentioning.

Three Irish women are taking Ireland to the European Court of Human Rights over their country's laws on abortion.

About 6000 women have to go overseas every year to obtain an abortion outside of Ireland, most go to the UK. At MSI, we see many Irish ladies, and it's stressful enough having to make a decision to have a termination, without the added trauma of having to travel overseas, especially after invasive surgery.

"The three women, who have not been named, claim Ireland's laws violate articles within the European Convention on Human Rights, and that Irish law on abortion "jeopardises their health and well-being"

I'm not familiar with the Convention, but I do believe that any law prohibiting abortion jeopardises a woman's health and wellbeing - and the 500 women who die daily from an illegal unsafe abortion would probably agree.

The Irish government said that they have 'no plans to introduce any legislation on what is a highly sensitive issue'.

Comments

• Options
    Mmm... it's a tough one. I'm 100% pro choice and despise religious bigotry and so-called 'pro life' scum. However if the Irish have repeteadly rejected the legalisation of abortion on referemdums you could argue that there is not much it can be done about it.

If anyone is being prevented from travelling abroad to have an abortion, then their human rights would clearly be being breached. If they're free to go then I don't think human rights legislation applies.

Ideally abortion should be made available for all who wish it though.
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    If anyone is being prevented from travelling abroad to have an abortion, then their human rights would clearly be being breached. If they're free to go then I don't think human rights legislation applies.

Presumably the government isnt going to pay for this visit to the UK or the abortion, so those on low incomes are discriminated against.

But as you say if as a nation they have repeatedly said they dont want them its quite culturally arrogant to tell them what they can and cant do.
  • Options
    I know in recent years, new things have been bubbling under the surface regarding the situation in Ireland, but like you said, it's difficult. I know that one of their Pregnancy Advisory Units had to be shut down due to the anti-choice movement.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    Presumably the government isnt going to pay for this visit to the UK or the abortion, so those on low incomes are discriminated against.

And most often they're the ones with the more advanced gestations, because by the time they've scraped enough money together for the trip, they're about 18 - 19 weeks+
  • Options
    Tough one. The Irish Govt doesn't stop people from travelling, so it could be argued that they don't prevent abortions.

However, it does put an unecessary barrier in the way.

Still like to see their law changed, but if the people don't want it, then I have to go with democracy
  • Options
    Well yes but the democracy isn't just about majority rules, it is majority choice allied to sound fundamental principles.

I think it would be reasonable to argue that the right to an abortion is fairly fundamental in the modern world.

The fact that Ireland still rules it illegal is frankly bizarre in a country that is upposed to be a part of a modern Europe.........
  • Options
    Ireland was pretty much a Church State until a few decades ago and I guess this is one of those policies that was kept on.
  • Options
    The underlying flaw in democracy is that 51% is a majority ruling and yet that level of contention can usually cause massive problems and generally be against the wellbeing of the state etc. as a whole.

As for the abortion issue, I try to stay neutral into the whole choice/life debate, but I can't help but feel that with the notable exceptions of rape, emergency medical circumstances and the like, taking a life for a personal "well-being" seems selfish, especially as the well being of another potential living being is threatened; even more so in that the women had a choice in becoming pregnant. Why is adoption suddenly no option? If the well-being remark suggests that the woman is physically unable to give birth then perhaps that is a different angle, but in my opinion this is another abuse of human rights laws. Were they not set up to protect fundamental abuses such as torture and repression, not to be used as an excuse for every part of a person's life?

As for illegal abortions, well, that again is a personal choice and if a woman is havign such problems that she cannot carry her baby that she is desperate to have it done in a back-street clinic, then perhaps her own mental state would give leave for a sanctioned abortion.
  • Options
    but I can't help but feel that with the notable exceptions of rape, emergency medical circumstances and the like, taking a life for a personal "well-being" seems selfish

Having children is also 'selfish' - what's your point? Why should rape/anything else traumatic be the only 'acceptable' reason for someone to have an abortion? I think forcing someone to carry a pregnancy to term and give birth will most certainly affect their well-being, and not for the better given that pregnancy etc isn't a barrel of laughs, fluffy kittens and candy.
    Why is adoption suddenly no option?

Because it's a parenting option, not a pregnancy option. If someone is having an abortion, it means they do not want to carry a pregnancy to term. For adoption to work, the woman must be willing to carry a pregnancy to term and give birth.
    As for illegal abortions, well, that again is a personal choice and if a woman is havign such problems that she cannot carry her baby that she is desperate to have it done in a back-street clinic, then perhaps her own mental state would give leave for a sanctioned abortion.

How generous.
  • Options
    Jem wrote:
    so far from reality.

what should be dealt with is the situation that is driving the poor woman down that road.
  • Options
    Jem wrote:
    Why is adoption suddenly no option?

Could it be the several thousand children in social services care already?
  • Options
    Could it be the several thousand children in social services care already?

Don't be silly MOK - they're not fresh out of the oven, they don't count.

Should be a drinking game where a shot is required everytime adoption is suggested as the solution for abortion/infertility/The Times crossword
  • Options
    Jem wrote:
    Why is adoption suddenly no option? .
    it often is and thats why social services have so many abandoned family less children on their hands.
    will you be adopting?
  • Options
    Three Irish women going to the ECHR on abortion...

Sounds like the beginning of a joke I used to know...
  • Options
    Jem wrote:
    The underlying flaw in democracy is that 51% is a majority ruling and yet that level of contention can usually cause massive problems and generally be against the wellbeing of the state etc. as a whole.

As for the abortion issue, I try to stay neutral into the whole choice/life debate, but I can't help but feel that with the notable exceptions of rape, emergency medical circumstances and the like, taking a life for a personal "well-being" seems selfish, especially as the well being of another potential living being is threatened; even more so in that the women had a choice in becoming pregnant. Why is adoption suddenly no option? If the well-being remark suggests that the woman is physically unable to give birth then perhaps that is a different angle, but in my opinion this is another abuse of human rights laws. Were they not set up to protect fundamental abuses such as torture and repression, not to be used as an excuse for every part of a person's life?

Who is this joker?