Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

My free Quran is rather costly. :-)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
As a blonde, Catholic surfer dude in the US you can imagine what I'm reading over the summer. That's right: the Quran. Hardcovered version too. I got it for free by taking advantage of an offer from the American Muslim Association to write for one. The only stipulation was to "treat it with the respect you'd treat any religious book." (Luckily they didn't say "school book".) So I've been quietly reading it in my beach chair. (Off to the side from any crowds...I swear.) Adults pretty much smile and interrupt my reading by telling me we all should be reading that so we understand people. Some look at me and roll their eyes. The Volleyball team walked by and someone yelled: "have you hugged a terrorist today?" And I yelled back (because I have to get beat up once a week I guess) "when was the last time you hugged ANYONE?" The whole team stopped. And I thought...so this is how my life is going to end...in border surfer shots, wearing my Irish cross thing, holding a Quran. And you know I was at peace with that thought...especially when the team walked on.

Anyway, don't you think giving out free Quran's was a brilliant idea. I do. :thumb:

Comments

• Options
    It's not that revolutionary.
    I mean, people at my old high-school would give out free new testaments.
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards.

Are you from New Jersey by any chance?
  • Options
    According to his pic, PNJ wasn't blonde :p
  • Options
    :confused: i thought it was spelt Koran? or is that something else?
  • Options
    It's difficult to translate the spelling of a word in a language that doesn't use the same alphabet.
  • Options
    Why was PNJ banned?
  • Options
    Why was PNJ banned?
    i seem to remember it had something to do with other people using his login
  • Options
    Dear Wendy wrote:
    According to his pic, PNJ wasn't blonde :p

Well, it could have gone blonde from the sun .... my money is on this being PNJ. :yes:

Not that I care ... at least he wasn't like Rich Kid et al ...

Anyway, atpeacecapemay (aka PNJ) you haven't said whether you liked what you read? I found it pretty confusing because the Surah's are pretty much jumbled up along their timelines .... not quite an enthralling read ....
  • Options
    Thanks Aladdin. Why yes I am from NJ. ;)

And Teagan I seem to have to read the same thing more than once often. I'm blaming it on too much sun as opposed to too little brains. I'll have to think of a new excuse in the Winter. I like it. It's interesting to me. But then unlike sooome adults running some countries...I like multicultural societies. :yes:
  • Options
    The Gideans got there first with free copies of the bible.
  • Options
    Of course, if it was the full Koran/Qu'ran, it should be kept in its own separate room and not touched.
  • Options
    So why does my driving teacher carry a copy in the car?
  • Options
    Well welcome back, you! :)

Anyways, this reminds me of a lovely American lady I met in Jordan a few weeks ago. She is American through and through, born in the US and all of that, but happens to be Muslim she covers her hair. She got so much abuse from idiots after 9/11 that she eventually decided to move out of the US last year.

I hope it doesn't end up like that for British Muslims here...
  • Options
    well as already pointed out the pnj account was banned because it was being used by others to post insulting messages - so indeed, if it is the same user and their account is now their own, welcome back
  • Options
    welcome back pissinthepot!
  • Options
    thanks jim aaaaaaaaaaand MR you crack me man. :eek:
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    I must admit, reading the Koran/Quran would make an interesting comparison to the bible.
  • Options
    You know Teh, if you ever decide to read any of it let me know what you think...I'd love to talk about it...although I guess I'd have to do it on a different board. So far...I don't see where the extremists are getting their point of view or excuse to be so mean.
  • Options
    You know Teh, if you ever decide to read any of it let me know what you think...I'd love to talk about it...although I guess I'd have to do it on a different board. So far...I don't see where the extremists are getting their point of view or excuse to be so mean.
    Of the three Muslim forums I'm on (I got suspended from the one I joined after YMOnline stopped having a discussion board, so I decided to spread myself around a bit), this one seems to be very friendly...

Islam; Global Message

Ah, I just figured that you probably mean a different board on this forum... :blush:
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    well as already pointed out the pnj account was banned because it was being used by others to post insulting messages - so indeed, if it is the same user and their account is now their own, welcome back

Presumably as long as he doesn't post any more of his poetry. :p

And I think it has to be, because I recall PNJ saying his sister was singing "I'm still Jenny from the block" and he told her no, she's Kathy from Cape May. So. Yeah.
  • Options
    Why was PNJ banned?

His dad used his account. He was a fucking prick anyway
  • Options
    Jim V wrote:
    good man jim v ...