Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Police leave woman to bleed to death, and then want to seize the family home

Story.

Lovely people that run this country, aren't they?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    :rolleyes:

... and then people wonder why I don't like my local constabulary...
  • Options
    that's awful :(
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    That bloody awful. Bastards.
  • Options
    Ok, but other than the police made the wrong decision, lets have another if scenario.

If, he'd been alive, and the entire ambulance crew had been shot, what then.

I've heard about this though, clearly it's just another example of "I won't take responsibility for this" in the hands of the officer in command at the scene, which is deeply disconcerting, and actually should be the discussion.

Other thoughts to have are, who told them he was dead, how could they be sure he was dead, what gave them the idea that he'd shoot at those giving medical aid, and why didn't the paramedics enter anyway?

Kermit, you did law, she took a case to court, she lost, she has to pay.
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:
    Ok, but other than the police made the wrong decision, lets have another if scenario.

If, he'd been alive, and the entire ambulance crew had been shot, what then.

I've heard about this though, clearly it's just another example of "I won't take responsibility for this" in the hands of the officer in command at the scene, which is deeply disconcerting, and actually should be the discussion.

Other thoughts to have are, who told them he was dead, how could they be sure he was dead, what gave them the idea that he'd shoot at those giving medical aid, and why didn't the paramedics enter anyway?

the police losing court cases though :lol:
    they're 'following the law' so can't be wrong

bloody out of order i say, see why some of us have 0 respect for the police, theyre hardly humane at all as theyre just 'doing their job'
  • Options
    Fiend_85 wrote:

Why does she?

The Chief Constable wouldn't have had to pay if he'd lost.

As always, the individual gets screwed in the court fee system, and the state doesn't have to pay a penny. If the police had lost they wouldn't have to pay- we would.

In criminal proceedings the CPS lawyers don't have to pay from their pocket if they fuck up. They don't have to pay court costs if they lose.

Why should this woman have to pay?
  • Options
    I don't understand where the inital £70,000 came from?

Are they trying to charge her for turning up at her mothers house after she made the 999 call?
  • Options
    I don't understand where the inital £70,000 came from?

Are they trying to charge her for turning up at her mothers house after she made the 999 call?

No, she sued them for standing by, preventing medical attention and thus letting her Mum die.

She lost.

They want their costs paid.

Heartless fuckers.
  • Options
    No, she sued them for standing by, preventing medical attention and thus letting her Mum die.

She lost.

They want their costs paid.

Heartless fuckers.

Its not just the police - every public body has a duty to try and minimise their costs. If this was an NHS trust which was being sued would you be suggesting that they shouldn't try and claim back their costs.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Its not just the police - every public body has a duty to try and minimise their costs. If this was an NHS trust which was being sued would you be suggesting that they shouldn't try and claim back their costs.

In these circumstances, yes. This wasn't a frivoluos claim.
  • Options
    Reading the story it seems the police are doing everything they can not to have to take her house.
    The Police Authority has made repeated attempts to communicate with the family to try to help resolve the matter, but the family has not responded," it said.

"The Police Authority does not want the family to have to sell or leave their home but, in the absence of any communication from their solicitors, has had no option but to take the minimum step of applying to a court to place a charge on the property."

Perhaps her first step would be to respond. That said its always easier to blame the police 100% in these situations isn't it?
  • Options
    The Police Authority has made repeated attempts to communicate with the family to try to help resolve the matter, but the family has not responded," it said.

No mate, they will have asked for the money and heard nothing. It's not a case of her sorting out if she will pay but how. By resolve the matter they mean pay, not negotiate.
    Perhaps her first step would be to respond. That said its always easier to blame the police 100% in these situations isn't it?

When they are completely at fault you mean?
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    Reading the story it seems the police are doing everything they can not to have to take her house.

Like not asking for their costs you mean? They could do that...
  • Options
    As a publically funded body they have a duty to seek at least some of the costs back. Or else the rest of us pay either through reduced policing or increased tax.

She took the case and she lost. She's now ignoring all communications. The women is not the total innocent unfairly being picked on.
  • Options
    As a publically funded body they have a duty to seek at least some of the costs back. Or else the rest of us pay either through reduced policing or increased tax.

Reduced policing? Like sitting outside people's houses til they die? that'll save on OT won't it. Seems to me that they aren't doing any anyway, so whu pay them for it?

Jesus.
  • Options
    cops were doing a shit job in the first place. They shouldn't get their costs back.
  • Options
    cops were doing a shit job in the first place. They shouldn't get their costs back.

That's fine if its a private company and the loosers were the shareholders. They're not and so the loosers are the rest of us.

Though as she lost the court case its probable that the police weren't doing a shit job, but making a difficult decision with the realisation that if they fucked up others could die.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    That's fine if its a private company and the loosers were the shareholders. They're not and so the loosers are the rest of us..

not that I am paying taxes in your country. But if such a situation were to occure around here, I wouldn't mind a bump in taxes to keep a women from being kicked out of her home.
  • Options
    NQA wrote:
    They're not and so the loosers are the rest of us.

One question about this.

If the police had lost the claim, would the Chief Constable be forced to sell his house to meet the legal bill?

Like hell he would.

So why the double standards?
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    One question about this.

If the police had lost the claim, would the Chief Constable be forced to sell his house to meet the legal bill?

Like hell he would.

So why the double standards?

exactly we're all part of the governmwnt being a democracy apparantly so we should get some of the same legal help as the police