Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ebay Sellers & Buyers please

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I was curious so thought i'd ask all who use ebay.

To the sellers.

Do you charge your're buyers for postage? Do you charge you're buyers for paying with paypal?

If you're selling an item and don't know how much the final postage cost will be do you think up a rough estimate and charge it accordingly? By that i mean, say you have an item you're not sure what the weight of it would be and you cannot get to the post office to get a price for it. Do you combine you're postage and paypal fee's along with any packaging costs in the post price?

To the buyers.

If you are browsing items you are interested in buying, see the postage cost and think it looks too much, does it put you off bidding on the auction? Do you look and think " Well maybe they are charging paypal in their also, as well as the cost of the packaging " ? or do you look at the price and just think " nah won't bother "?

Thank you in advance for your replies :)

Comments

• Options
    i charge buyers postage, according to the weight of the item and where it's going. i don't charge for paying with paypal cause it's my preferred method of payment, and it's against ebay rules to charge additional fees for paypal, anyway.

postage and packing means exactly that. it's the price of the postage, plus the price of the parcel paper/tape/jiffy bag/bubblewrap (depends what it is). big jiffy bags, for example are about a quid each. ouch.

i don't know exactly what the postage of my stuff will be, but i make educated guesses. like say if i sell a pair of jeans, i know it'll come out around 2.50 to post to the UK, and i only need to wrap it with parcel paper, so i just put all jeans on at £3 postage. some will be a little less, some will be a little more. but it's just easier that way.
  • Options
    Most people have kitchen scales. You simply pop your item on the kitchen scales, take a peek at the Royal Mail website where it tells you postage rates and you charge accordingly. I never charge for paypal (because you aren't actually allowed) and I don't charge extra for petrol/bus fare/time because I am of the opinion that nobody makes you sell on eBay so you shouldn't have to charge for your time!

As a buyer I won't buy an item where it is obvious they've overcharged on P&P. It would never cost £3 to package and post a t-shirt for example. I could send boxed shoes for that price!! So yes, high and unrealistic postage puts me off buying.
  • Options
    I have to admit, sometimes I have seen something I would like to bid on but the postage is ridiculous, so I haven't bidded. For example, bid £7 on a CD with £3.00 postage. It does NOT cost them that much to send it out!! :yes:
  • Options
    I add a few pennies on postage to help cover eBay fees. About 30 to 50 pence, depending on the item, starting price, etc. But some people just take the piss - and I don't bid on those auctions.
  • Options
    kaffrin wrote:
    i charge buyers postage, according to the weight of the item and where it's going. i don't charge for paying with paypal cause it's my preferred method of payment, and it's against ebay rules to charge additional fees for paypal, anyway..

That rule only came in after ebay bought out paypal!!

Naughty ebay!! .. sounds like a monopoly to me!!
  • Options
    As a seller:

Do you charge your're buyers for postage? Do you charge you're buyers for paying with paypal?

Its against E-Bay rules to charge for PayPal! Buyers are always charged fir P&P but at a reasonable amount that covers the cost of posting and packaging. I do not add hidden charges for "handling" or PayPal.

If you're selling an item and don't know how much the final postage cost will be do you think up a rough estimate and charge it accordingly?

I have been selling for a while so i have a rough idea of how much items will be charged for posting. If i sell a heavier item i tend to get it weighed at the post office first.

Do you combine you're postage and paypal fee's along with any packaging costs in the post price?
    Again this would be against E-Bay rules! If you want to add PayPal as a method of paying thats your decision, but buyers should never be charged extra for it!

As a buyer

If you are browsing items you are interested in buying, see the postage cost and think it looks too much, does it put you off bidding on the auction? Do you look and think " Well maybe they are charging paypal in their also, as well as the cost of the packaging " ? or do you look at the price and just think " nah won't bother "?

Yes i hate to be ripped off. I see it all the time, P&P should be at a reasonable price!
  • Options
    I have to admit, sometimes I have seen something I would like to bid on but the postage is ridiculous, so I haven't bidded. For example, bid £7 on a CD with £3.00 postage. It does NOT cost them that much to send it out!! :yes:

Thats a piss take i charge no more than £1, that covers the stamps and the padded envelope.
  • Options
    As a buyer, i look at the postage cost, and deduct that from the amount I am prepared to pay for the item.