Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

moving your relationship on to the next level...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, here's the deal. i feel like me+my b.f's relationship is ready to move on a step+has been for a long while. I really feel like id love to get a place with him. We've discussed this, and he totally agrees. We've been together just over 2yrs BTW.
BUT (yeah, there's always aproblem aint there) im at uni for the next 2 yrs, so obviously we cant afford to rent/buy a place!!!!
It's really frustrating me+making me feel like im stuck in a rut in a stale relationship!!
Any advice...i think i just needed a good winge!
Thanx

Comments

• Options
    Haven't really got any advice for you, but I know exactly what you mean!

I've been with my bf just over a year and we've talked about it and would realy love to move in together, but uni is, again, getting in the way. He's currently on his placement year, then has two more years at uni, plus a summer placement in between those. Then when he (finally!) graduates, he's moving back to where he is on his placement! The eventual plan is that I move there with him then, when he starts work properly, but it's already dragging and I want to be there NOW! :(

Doesn't help that a lot of my friend's boyfriends are slightly older and therefore have been in jobs years and they're all getting engaged and making plans to move in together, buy houses and plan weddings! Soooo frustrating when you know you and your partner want to be together for life (yadda yadda yadda!) but can't make all these plans your friends are doing because of damn uni! :( (as you can probably tell, I'm not at uni!)
  • Options
    Whatever you do dont quit uni to be with him.
    I can guarentee it will be the biggest mistake youl ever make if you do.
  • Options
    i aint thinking of quitting uni, dont worry, its just really affecting my view on the relationship cos im so frustrated!!
  • Options
    just because you don't live together doesn't mean you're stuck in a rut. and if you are in a stale relationship, moving in together won't help. it'll just make things worse.

some people seem to think that they should be together for a certain amount of time, and then if you don't make the 'next step', there's something wrong.

i always get comments from the older members of my family, cause i've been living with my bloke for about two and a half years, and they think that there's something wrong, cause we have no immediate plans either to get married, or to have babies. but it's not. i'm quite happy just bumbling along with him, wherever that bumble may take me.
  • Options
    i know what you mean kaffrin, its just that i feel that i am ready to move on, and that maybe this would remove the staleness, but i cant be sure.
  • Options
    i know what you mean kaffrin, its just that i feel that i am ready to move on, and that maybe this would remove the staleness, but i cant be sure.

I really doubt it, moving in with someone isn't always what you expect, plus you learn all those annoying habits they have which if things are already stale are gonna make things even worse. I suggest you work on making things better between you both.
  • Options
    ok, but im really not sure how to! recently its like i just feel that things are gonna be same old routine!
  • Options
    ok, but im really not sure how to! recently its like i just feel that things are gonna be same old routine!

if you think it's like that now, wait until you're having arguments about who does the washing up, and having to have words about him leaving wet towels on the bed...
  • Options
    yep thats totally true, and if ur at uni u wont see him as much so wen u get time together it will be extra spiecal!!