Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Insecurities

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Not sure this belongs here but what the hey

Was just thinking, at school, as kids are mean, they pick out the slightest imperfections of others in order to bully them about it

Well ive been thinking lately about how many things i hate about my appearance, but i was never bullied at school for my appearance, so do you reckon its just in my head because surely my peers would of picked it out?

Just a stupid theory

Comments

• Options
    Blah wrote:
    Not sure this belongs here but what the hey

Was just thinking, at school, as kids are mean, they pick out the slightest imperfections of others in order to bully them about it

Well ive been thinking lately about how many things i hate about my appearance, but i was never bullied at school for my appearance, so do you reckon its just in my head because surely my peers would of picked it out?

Just a stupid theory
    Maybe you're feeling down on yourself? Or perhaps other people have teased you?

I think everybody becomes more worried about their appearances if they feel down, especially after a rejection of some sort.
  • Options
    It could be the media aswell - studies have shown how self-image and esteem is badly affected after just 3 minutes of flicking through a fashion magazine, watching tv etc.

I have BDD because I was bullied about my appearance when I was 12 due to me being a tomboy. Now I'm being bullied because I'm making a huge effort to look good and a lot of people, girls in particular, have picked up on that. I can't seem to find a happy medium.
  • Options
    i'm not concerned with anything with my body and neither should you, you should only be concerned with your image if it's detrimental to your health and i'm sure you're not morbidly obese are you
  • Options
    i feel the same way you do :p i hate my whole body appearance in general - face, boobs, legs, stomach etc etc yet i have never been bullied/put down by it. YET im always paranoid that people talk and laugh about me behind my back.

in my case i am extremely shy and self concious anyway so im guessing its all in my head.. but dont know for sure
  • Options
    filthy chav, whats BDD??
  • Options
    filthy chav, whats BDD??

Well according to www.acronymfinder.com it means (amongst other things)

Body Dismorphic Disorder

I've absolutley no idea what this means, but im sure a quick google would explain all
  • Options
    i was bullied for being smart at primary school
    i've never really been bullied at senior school - but if people try to put me down they use my hair colour....its really boring tbh its the only insult people ever use on me
  • Options
    I was never bullied at school.

I don't really have issues with my body, I don't think I look too bad, but I do compare myself to every other guy I see and think I don't match up and everyone else is just way better then me.
  • Options
    filthy chav, whats BDD??

I don't think I explain it well, but its a type of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but relating to appearance and a huge lack of positive self-image. Say, if I don't do my morning beauty ritual correctly, or don't wear make-up, or someone throws water at me at school, I sink into a depressive state. Its constantly comparing yourself to others... I have an unnatural fear of Topshop, for instance, because of all the 'beautiful people' in there. I end up so self-conscious about the way I look, or how I'm even browsing clothes rails, that I have a panic attack :( Sounds stupid and vain, I know.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I don't think I explain it well, but its a type of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, but relating to appearance and a huge lack of positive self-image. Say, if I don't do my morning beauty ritual correctly, or don't wear make-up, or someone throws water at me at school, I sink into a depressive state. Its constantly comparing yourself to others... I have an unnatural fear of Topshop, for instance, because of all the 'beautiful people' in there. I end up so self-conscious about the way I look, or how I'm even browsing clothes rails, that I have a panic attack :( Sounds stupid and vain, I know.
    why not treat yourself? be pampered! I have days when i feel ugly or fat. Like some days i'll look in the mirror and think 'god i need to loose some weight' and others i'll think i look alright. And if i get 1 of those big red spots i dont want to go out. So i kind of can relate to you. As for the 'beautiful people' they're probably insecure at times too, i know girls at school who weigh like 7st and go all day with hardly eating anything....its sad :(
  • Options
    Ballerina wrote:
    why not treat yourself? be pampered! I have days when i feel ugly or fat. Like some days i'll look in the mirror and think 'god i need to loose some weight' and others i'll think i look alright. And if i get 1 of those big red spots i dont want to go out. So i kind of can relate to you. As for the 'beautiful people' they're probably insecure at times too, i know girls at school who weigh like 7st and go all day with hardly eating anything....its sad :(

I try to pamper myself, but it seems the only things that pick me up are really selfish things.. anyway I'm going through counselling at the moment for my BDD and depression, so hopefully I'll be feeling better by September.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    I try to pamper myself, but it seems the only things that pick me up are really selfish things.. anyway I'm going through counselling at the moment for my BDD and depression, so hopefully I'll be feeling better by September.
    i've just had several weeks of councelling. it does help but you cant really depend on councelling alone, when i went on my last session i didnt have anything that was bothering and she said i might not need it anymore. I'm going back for 1 session in september to see if i still want to go or not, hopefully i wont need it anymore. But it is nice to talk about stuff.