Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

10 Months

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My current relationship is the longest that I've had and we've been together now for 9 months. All is good and even though we've had our ups and downs there hasn't been anything really major to threaten out continuing relationship.

A few of my friends have been in relationships for longer than me and they're starting to scare me. Apparently according to them 10 months is the relationship killer, after the 10 month mark it all goes downhill!! :nervous:

Now that I'm reaching that point in my own relationship I'm a bit worried. They've both had very rocky relationships and claim that this started at the 10 month mark. Its just got me thinking because me and my boyfriend have had a few stupid arguments over the last few days.

Do they speak any sense?
Has anyone else found this to be true?
Urban legend anyone?!

Comments

• Options
    Don't let it become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Keep an open mind.
  • Options
    a relationship can go wrong at any point - 10months, 10 days, 10 weeks, 10 years. do you live in fear permenantly? no. think positive.
  • Options
    I'm past the 10months stage with my boyfriend, we've been together just over a year and things just get better. If relationships did all go wrong at 10months, there would be a lot of single people.
  • Options
    all schools seem to have a certain mark which they call the doom stage, when I was at school everyone said it was 6 months, I had a past relationship at school which ended at 6 months and a few others hit 6 months and it ended too. From then on, people always said once you got to 6 months, things would start going wrong, of course, this is complete bollocks as a relationship can last as long as you want it to.
  • Options
    If relationships go bad at 10 months, can you tell me how I have managed to be with my wife for 18 years?
  • Options
    If relationships go bad at 10 months, can you tell me how I have managed to be with my wife for 18 years?

A total fluke! ;)

I know it's total and utter rubbish but I was just wondering if anyone else had heard of it or if it was just my friends being paranoid about such things.
  • Options
    ive heard of it, but i think it is down to paranoia. Some relationships last, some dont, if its meant to be, it'll be!
  • Options
    Mine got rocky at the 12 month mark ish. But, we've braved it, and just past our 13th month now! :D It was more about issues inside each of us that when you start going out you don't want to get in the way, and you get to a stage where you know each other so well the 'true' you comes out, and more likely than not it's not as 'perfect' as the person you started with - because obviously they put on your best side for you.

But in not being 'perfect', I think it makes it better. I can't describe it :confused:. It's silly stuff like my girlfriend whingeing (about anything, really :p), which she never used to do. And being stupidly stubborn! But it just makes everything feel more 'right'.

When you can take the bad with the good, then you know you're onto a winner. I don't think any relationship can escape the moment where you realise that the flirty excitedness isn't all there is to it anymore, and there are qualities about each other that you never noticed before.

But having said all this, it's different in every relationship. It's not a 'doom day' or anything like - it's just a transition in my opinion.
  • Options
    Shyboy you got it in one regarding our latest arguments. They have been purely because we've both been to damn stubborn to give in. We had an argument over pizza which nearly started world war 3 for god's sake!

I'm sure it'll sort itself out and i'll stop worrying (not that I was anyway...honest :p ) about the ten month trap
  • Options
    well i think the one year mark is a big one cause its like omfg we have been doing the dating for a year kinda thing
    but other than that, its all silly talk
  • Options
    Sparklie wrote:
    A few of my friends have been in relationships for longer than me and they're starting to scare me. Apparently according to them 10 months is the relationship killer, after the 10 month mark it all goes downhill!! :nervous:

nope, 10 months is still within the blissful honeymoon period.

the point where the honeymoon period end is 18 months to 2 years. that's a danger zone. apparently 7 years is the next one.

but if it's going to go wrong, it's going to go wrong. no point faffing about it.