Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Where is the cheapest site to download music?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ive done a search but it didnt come up with anything. Ive only just got my MP3 and have never downloaded anything before!

Comments

• Options
    http://www.allofmp3.com/ as far as I know... from as little as $0.02 per song. (i.e. 1p)
  • Options
    ****?

There are free sites on the internet, but it's forbidden in the rules to discuss things about them because they're illegal. The site I posted up, *should* be illegal but due to loopholes in Russian law, it isn't :). They're trying to change the law though, but you know how long that's going to take - so in the mean time take advantage. As long as it's not retrospective :chin:
  • Options
    Thanks ShyBoy, is this site completely safe and legal to use then?
  • Options
    Special_K wrote:
    Thanks ShyBoy, is this site completely safe and legal to use then?

Yes, and no. It's legal, but the music industry hates it, because according to their law it's illegal. But local law overrides this, so in Russia where there are different copyright laws, they can do it legally. And since the only law in the UK is against the distribution, you can get it as much as you want. The second you give it to someone else though, you're breaking the law. But then again, with so many hundreds of thousands breaking laws like this every day, I doubt you'll get pulled up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4328269.stm

http://blog.computeractive.co.uk/2004/10/a_note_on_allof.html
    The site is indeed legal - but only within Russia. UK consumers will not face legal action for buying tracks from the site
  • Options
    The site claims it pays licence fees for all material on the site, "subject to the law of the Russian Federation on copyright and related rights". You wanna hope this is correct, because under the terms of use, you would have agreed that you won't use their services "if it is in conflict with legislation of your country". Allofmp3.com may hold Russian distribution rights but it doesn't own worldwide Internet distribution rights.
  • Options
    Ok, ive registered on the site now, have u downloaded the allofmp3.com explorer? Is that safe? I cant download my tracks for some reason??
  • Options
    Jeez stop being such a worrier and download them illegally..it's harmless (almost :p )
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    Jeez stop being such a worrier and download them illegally..it's harmless (almost :p )

it's technically legal to download them illegally, as long as you dont share or distribute it. as far as i know anyway
  • Options
    it's technically legal to download them illegally, as long as you dont share or distribute it. as far as i know anyway

downloading copywrited material is still theft
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

Not if you have permission to do so. ;)
  • Options
    in general i was thinking
  • Options
    MrG wrote:

It's not actually, theft is a criminal offence, downloading copywrited material is copyright infringement, a civil offence. AFAIK anyway.
  • Options
    It's not actually, theft is a criminal offence, downloading copywrited material is copyright infringement, a civil offence. AFAIK anyway.

copywrite infringement is using the ideas and thoughts of someone elses material isnt it?
  • Options
    Ahh who cares, free music sounds better.
  • Options
    ELMOO\Gareth - 192.168.0.2

oh wait i forgot, you aint on my private network within my house
    damn, no free music for you
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    copywrite infringement is using the ideas and thoughts of someone elses material isnt it?

Something along those lines. I don't know, all I know is it's intellctual property theft, not actual theft, which makes it civil and not criminal. Kermit will know, he's the legal secretary :)
  • Options
    Kazaa is good...

To be fair, I think that downloading music helps the more obscure artists because people hear their tracks and go out to buy the albums.
  • Options
    :impissed: i downloaded kazaa on saturday and got a virus . sooo not worth the money
  • Options
    :impissed: i downloaded kazaa on saturday and got a virus . sooo not worth the money

Um, you didn't pay for Kazaa did you?!
  • Options
    i paid for something that said it was kazaa
  • Options
    You should never have to pay for these programs like Kazaa, WinMX, Emule, etc. There are a couple of P2P applications that you will have to pay for if you want to pro versions and they are Limewire Pro and Bearshare Pro.

What website did you buy this program from?
  • Options
    hmmm kazaa is free, i do find it slightly amusing that some people do pay for it
  • Options
    :lol: i got done!

i thought u had to pay to make it legal.
  • Options
    Anyone else see this story... apparently those who download also buy more...
  • Options
    Anyone else see this story... apparently those who download also buy more...

yeh i saw that one, sorta puts a whole dent in the "people who download are killing the industry"
  • Options
    Ahh who cares, free music sounds better.

Just like beer tastes crap on your eighteenth birthday.
  • Options
    How the fuck has this ended up in P&D?

You been drinking again Jim?
  • Options
    dammmitt -hick-