Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blue screen of death

JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
Randomly during use my PC is blue screening with error 'critical termination' and "STOP: 0x000000f4 (0x00000003, 0x86944d84, 0x805f9f88). Tried Google but bringing up a load of German bollocks. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    Dr PirateDr Pirate Posts: 8,303 Legendary Poster
    I had a similar error before, turned out to be a crack on my Processor ;<
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    You need to deduce when it happens. Time it and see if it after a set time or if a particular application is doing it.

Have you installed any new drivers recently?
  • Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    A BSoD can happen for about a million different reasons. The trick is to try and work out when and why it's happening.

Write down the exact error and note the first code after it. Search google and ask on proper techie computing forums to see what you can find out. Even then you might get nowhere.

If you have no luck then go to Microsoft's home page and contact them. Providing your copy of Windows is legit, they'll get someone to help you via email and take you through idiot-proof procedures to detect the problem. They were very helpful when my computer was screwing up with BSoD errors a while ago.

Like I said, it could be happening for any number of reasons - Hardware (PSU, RAM, CPU, HDD, motherboard) or software related (operating system, drivers). I had a Voodoo 3 2000 graphics card with drivers that weren't completely compatible with W2k (despite them being W2k drivers!), and I would end up with a BSoD at random intervals, but could also recreate the error when I was running md5 checksums. Mental! :confused: Anyway, the guy at Microsoft eventually told me this was the problem and I got a new graphics card. I ended up with a perfectly stable computer that has never crashed and has only been reset/off a handful of times since January :D