Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Discovery Shuttle Launch Today! (15:39 GMT)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Launch of Space Shuttle Discovery on mission STS-114, NASA's Return to Flight mission, is set for Tuesday at 10:39 a.m. EDT.

The launch pad's Rotating Service Structure (RSS) was rolled away from Discovery at 3:38 p.m. on Monday. When in place, the giant enveloping appendage is used to install payloads into an orbiter's cargo bay and provide protection from inclement weather. With the RSS now out of the way, propellant loading is set to begin after midnight Tuesday morning with the pumping of more than 500,000 gallons of liquid oxygen and hydrogen into the vehicle's orange External Tank.

The chance of Kennedy weather cooperating for the launch remains at 60
percent.

Watch Live On NASA TV - http://www.nasa.gov/ram/35037main_portal.ram

http://www.nasa.gov/returntoflight/main/index.html

Comments

• Options
    exciting stuff, i think space exploration is awesome and still the idea of space amazes me.
    I hope everything goes well with the launch.
  • Options
    First launch since the last one blew up isn't it? Or is it not? I know they aborted a launch 2 weeks ago or so because a fuel sensor was faulty. Good luck to them anyway.
  • Options
    Yeah it was meant to launch on the 13th but got cancelled at the last minute. I was annoyed cos I was in Florida at the time and would have got a good look at it.
  • Options
    hmmm the pressure under water would crush u instantly right? i guess that would be better i guess. fuck it ill just stay where i am hehe
  • Options
    We train? what do you do J i saw something on blue peter (yes i still sometimes watch this at 21) about an 100ft tank is that like the navy?
  • Options
    in that case J for the win :D
    awesome!
  • Options
    show off :p
  • Options
    haha 10 minutes until blast off woooo
  • Options
    Its also on BBC news 24.
  • Options
    Anybody else watch it then? :D
  • Options
    Yeh watched about 2 hours before liftoff as well. Fukin imense all the work that goes into making the mission work.