Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Cardiff - what to do??

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey seems i may be heading there on thursday and was wondering if theres anywhere to go and get drunk in cardiff? whats the locals like what are the best pubs/clubs you know the usual.

Comments

• Options
    only ever been for the footy and the locals arnt generally too welcoming, but that might be because of the game. who knows. theres loads and loads of pubs tho.
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:
    only ever been for the footy and the locals arnt generally too welcoming, but that might be because of the game. who knows. theres loads and loads of pubs tho.
    thats what i like to hear :D
  • Options
    koe_182 wrote:

I'm sure the Cardiff City fans don't represent the majority of those in Cardiff. :grump:

I'm looking at going out in Cardiff in the Summer sometime. There loads of pubs in the centre and quite a few clubs around the Millenium Stadium. It's a city so i can't imagine it being boring. I've never gone out in the evening there but i love the place.
  • Options
    is it all chavtastic clubs though i mean does anyone know any i should stay away from? Im scared about wondering into a gay bar or an old mans club.
    you know that music stop and everyone look at ya.

although apparently i look gay anyways :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Cardiff is a wicked city! There are plenty of bars and clubs...I doubt very much you'd find many where they'd all stop and stare at you when you walk in, Cardiff is a very varied, cosmopolitan and, well, random city and I've never found anywhere like that in the 6 years I've been here. There are a lot of bars and a few clubs on St Mary's street, like The Philharmonic, Life (which I personally cannot stand but you might like) and Liquid. I personally would recommend Molokos which is at the top of St Mary's street and round to the left on Mill Lane, it's a bit pricey but nice. On the same street though is a gay bar, King's Cross I think it's called, just to warn you as you were worried about them! Check out this website for pretty up-to-date info on all the bars and clubs in Cardiff. Enjoy :)
  • Options
    stupidGirl your not stupid at all haha.
    Thanks so much and we have a life here and no not really my kind of thing, is there any alternative places there? Im excited now just hope my boss will give me the time off
  • Options
    Yep, if it's alternative/rock/metal/etc you want then there really is only one place to go...Metros! It's my favourite club, it's a dark, dank, grimy dive of a place but I love it :) Check out their website for more info. Thursday night is METAL night, double JD for £2.00, bottles of XXXX for 99p.
    There's no dress code and it's £2.50 to get in. Alternatively you could check out Clwb Ifor Bach (AKA Welsh Club as it used to only be open for "proper" Welsh people, i.e. those who only spoke Welsh! Not the case any more though thankfully). The website for that is here It doesn't say what's on on Thursday but you could email them to find out, they're usually pretty good about getting back to queries they receive by email. There's also a cool bar called BSB, if you walk down the main shopping street (it's called Queen Street and is pedestrianised) and turn down the road that comes off it which has Barclays bank right on the corner, you go past a Wetherspoons (Central Bar I think it's called) on your right and Valentinos, an Italian restaurant on your left, and it's just past Valentinos. A bit hidden but worth checking out, it's cool, has a nice atmosphere and usually plenty of places to sit and chill out.
    Hope this all helps. I should be on the Cardiff Tourist Board :D
  • Options
    I'll remember to look at this thread when I go. :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  • Options
    StupidGirl wrote:
    Yep, if it's alternative/rock/metal/etc you want then there really is only one place to go...Metros! It's my favourite club, it's a dark, dank, grimy dive of a place but I love it :) Check out their website for more info. Thursday night is METAL night, double JD for £2.00, bottles of XXXX for 99p.
    There's no dress code and it's £2.50 to get in. Alternatively you could check out Clwb Ifor Bach (AKA Welsh Club as it used to only be open for "proper" Welsh people, i.e. those who only spoke Welsh! Not the case any more though thankfully). The website for that is here It doesn't say what's on on Thursday but you could email them to find out, they're usually pretty good about getting back to queries they receive by email. There's also a cool bar called BSB, if you walk down the main shopping street (it's called Queen Street and is pedestrianised) and turn down the road that comes off it which has Barclays bank right on the corner, you go past a Wetherspoons (Central Bar I think it's called) on your right and Valentinos, an Italian restaurant on your left, and it's just past Valentinos. A bit hidden but worth checking out, it's cool, has a nice atmosphere and usually plenty of places to sit and chill out.
    Hope this all helps. I should be on the Cardiff Tourist Board :D
    metro it is then woop. although my chavtastic buddy wont aprpeciate it im sure but still ill swear i didnt know it was a rock club.
    Anyways so StupidGirl oh woman of wisdom any cheap B & B's there?
  • Options
    Well...never actually stayed in a B&B in Cardiff before as I live so close, but I found this list when searching on the net so you have a few numbers to try. If you want ones relatively close to the centre go for ones on roads like Newport Road, City Road or Colum Road (that's one of the main student accommodation roads but should be quieter than usual as it's the summer holidays).