Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Age gap

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
More a relationship q then sex, but wasn't sure which thread to use.

What is an acceptable age gap for a relationship to you guys? I mean, what would you class as too much of a gap between two people.

I just can't understand peoples reasoning.

I'm 30, my ex, who was 37, was acceptable to my friends/family, and no-one seemed to raise an eyebrow.

I met a girl in a club last week, and agreed to meet her again, I have since found out she is only 22, and I'm getting some serious stick from my mates? I personally don't see the difference, as we get on really well, and she seems as mature in most ways compared to the 37 year old I was with previously.

Also, my ex wife was the same age as me, and that didn't work out, because there was a massive gap in maturity between us, so I can't really see what the problem is!! It doesn't bother me as such (I mean I'm not going to break off the relationship because of it) but I just can't see where they get these views from.

Anyone have a view on this?

Comments

• Options
    If you go for a lass much younger than yourself then you will get stick for it. Light-hearted mostly I would expect, all the usual jokes about being a cradle-snatcher.

For me I wouldn't know what was acceptable, once a person is in their twenties I don't think it matters so much anymore. For me it'd be plus or minus five years, but it would depend on who I met. If I met someone who was ten years older, and I was single, I don't think it would be an issue for me to have a relationship with them if we get on.

You may well find that you won't get on with this girl in the long-term, but for now have some young fun;)
  • Options
    Thanks. In a way it is an ideal match in that we both have what we are looking for - she has already said she doesn't want anything too serious, and just wants to meet now and then for a drink to see how it goes. As you know, I've had hell of a lot on over the last year, and am quite happy for a relationship of that nature, so it seems to suit us both.

Will see how it goes!
  • Options
    I was 20 when i got with my husband who was 26 at the time. His friends were impressed that hed pulled a 20 year old :rolleyes:.
    I dont really think age gaps make much difference once youre an adult.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:
    I'm 30, my ex, who was 37, was acceptable to my friends/family, and no-one seemed to raise an eyebrow.

I met a girl in a club last week, and agreed to meet her again, I have since found out she is only 22, and I'm getting some serious stick from my mates? QUOTE]

I'd have thought you'd get more stick going out with a woman 7 years older then one 8 years younger.
  • Options
    Age is as much of an issue as you make it. My best friends (a married couple) have a massive age gap - she's 24, he's 41 - but they are soulmates, you honestly couldn't find a more perfectly-matched couple. If you like someone and they like you, stuff how old they are and what everyone else says/thinks. (Unless they're eleven and you're fifty, obviously).
  • Options
    agree with kermit, its not such a big deal once you get into your 20s - like you said, its about maturity and personality matches rather than age.
  • Options
    manickev wrote:

I met a girl in a club last week, and agreed to meet her again, I have since found out she is only 22, and I'm getting some serious stick from my mates? QUOTE]

I'd have thought you'd get more stick going out with a woman 7 years older then one 8 years younger.

Me too, but it hasn't been the case!!!
  • Options
    I wouldn't say she is to young for you. Isn't about your age really it is more so about the things you have in common and if you are at the same place in your lives. One of the mosest sucessful pairs i know are 18 years apart
  • Options
    It depends on the individuals I think.

I got with my fella when I was just 18, he was 25 we didnt have an issue with the age gap and nor did anyone round us...
  • Options
    I dont think the age gap matters, when you get past a certain age. Just depends on how well you connect as two individuals.
  • Options
    When i was 15 i had a fling with a 22 year old, when i was 17 i had a 35 year old bf, when i was 21 i had a 17/18 year old bf, then after that i had a 29 year old bf. To me age is not important.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    when i was 21 i had a 17/18 year old bf

Lucky him :p
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    When i was 15 i had a fling with a 22 year old, when i was 17 i had a 35 year old bf. To me age is not important.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I personally think those blokes need their heads read...
  • Options
    Lucky him :p

It had been going so well, had some really constructive comments etc today.

And then you turn up again. You should replace your signature with "End of Thread", as that seems to be what happens when you turn up!!!!
  • Options
    g_angel007 wrote:
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

I personally think those blokes need their heads read...

lol yeah i suppose, but i wasn't complaining at the time!
  • Options
    Not a big issue at all. When my best mate got with her bf she was 17 and he was 23. Another one of my mates is 18 and her bf 15.
  • Options
    I noticed that there's not a lot of support for women in age gap relationships in society. I found a forum that's for women who are in those type of relationships

The Darling Mays Forum
  • Options
    toriact wrote:
    I noticed that there's not a lot of support for women in age gap relationships in society. I found a forum that's for women who are in those type of relationships

The Darling Mays Forum

1 registerd user? Oh dear..
  • Options
    I'm 20 and my girlfriend is 24. Nobody bats an eyelid.
  • Options
    I would have understood the problem if you were both ten, or even 5 years younger. But wtf? I don't see why people should have a problem with it tbh.
  • Options
    I would have understood the problem if you were both ten, or even 5 years younger. But wtf? I don't see why people should have a problem with it tbh.
    It was interesting to read in the newspapers last week about the 31-year old man who's just got married to a 70-year old woman. I didn't think love could blossom between them two - how wrong I was. I wish them well.
  • Options
    I have a friend who is 21 and is livin with a bloke 73!!! Thats wot u call sick, He gives her money and she gives him sex but am 18 and my partner is 26 and we get on great!! Age doesnt matter its they age they act that does!!
  • Options
    I have a friend who is 21 and is livin with a bloke 73!!! Thats wot u call sick, He gives her money and she gives him sex but am 18 and my partner is 26 and we get on great!! Age doesnt matter its they age they act that does!!

There was a 16 year age gap between my ex and i so i'm pretty open minded about these things but even i draw the line at people with bus passes who are deemed as OAP's. I'm afraid your friends situation is pretty grim to be honest. Was there no one a bit younger when she was on the look out for a piggy bank? <-- said tongue in cheek as i realise it's your mate.

Oh and manickev, can't see what the fuss is about. She's only 8 years younger, not a huge gap. Maybe they're just jealous that you're pulled a younger lass :yes: