Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sex after abortion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hey there, :heart: I really need some help....

I recently had an abortion, 2 weeks ago.
The doctor has put me on the Dianette pill. to help my skin as well. :yes: :heart:

I haven't yet had a period, he told me to start taking it right away, I started it on wednday, so i've only taken 3 pills.

How long does it take for the pill to work? i've never taken the pill before so it's new to me....

Do I take the whole first pack, have a perioid.... then when i start the next pack, it's safe to have sex then? :confused:

thanks very much.xoxoxo

Comments

• Options
    I think you should wait a bit longer before having sex, whether or not the pill would be working (which i dont think it would be yet, being that it wasnt started on the first day of a period.
    Im a bit confused though. Im sure I bled for ages after my abortion. maybe its different these days.
  • Options
    Normally when a woman has just had a miscarriage or abortion, and the pill is prescribed, they're told to start taking it immediately, but given that you haven't, and you couldn't take it on the first day of your last period, I'd assume that you have to take the pill correctly for at least 7 days, to put your ovaries 'to sleep'.

Did you have a medical or surgical abortion? Normally, they ask you to come in for a check up after a medical abortion to ensure it has been completed, so if that's the case for you, you can always ask during a post-op appointment.

If you're unsure at *any* stage, either consult the instructions that come with your pill, or give NHS Direct a ring (0845 46 47). You can also contact the fpa

:)
  • Options
    Im a bit confused though. Im sure I bled for ages after my abortion. maybe its different these days.

It depends on the gestation and procedure type. Women having a medical abortion can have a lot of bleeding as the uterus has to cleanse itself of all tissue (I'd say placental tissue it the 'bulk' of it, and is obviously quite dense and spongy.)

Techniques and surgical equiptment have changed a lot over the years, it's not uncommon now for a woman to have no bleeding at all following an abortion as the uterus is totally cleared of any tissue.
  • Options
    not sure what my gestation was. Wasnt that far along. It was only a heartbeat on a scan, nothing recognisable - not like with my sons first scan at 9 weeks. so im guessing i was about 5 or 6 weeks max. I had a GA and a D&C. this was in 1993
  • Options
    Yeah I bled for about a week after the abortion. But it stopped the past week.

So I should wait 7 days then? I think to be safe, I might wait till the next pack. :)
  • Options
    hanyougrrl wrote:
    Yeah I bled for about a week after the abortion. But it stopped the past week.

So I should wait 7 days then? I think to be safe, I might wait till the next pack. :)
    i think its best to wait a while to reduce the chances of infection.
  • Options
    It's up to you, whatever you feel comfortable with. Like Rainbow Brite says, they normally don't recommend you have sex, or anything in your vagina for at least 2 weeks after a termination. Your cervix needs time to adjust, and by introducing something non-sterile in there, it could lead to an infection.

Were you offered chlamydia screening before your termination? Most places should normally do it nowadays (and the Department of Health recommends it, it's even asked if it was offered in the big yellow abortion notification form - the HSA4). If you had screening for that, it's a good idea to get the results first.

If you weren't screened, it would be a good idea to get tested as infections like that - particularly after a termination where your reproductive organs are in a vulnerable state - could turn nasty, and have an effect on future fertility if not treated.
  • Options
    When I first started on the pill, I wasn't on my period, so my doctor told me to wait two weeks before going at it without a condom. It all worked out fine, but if you're worried, I'd wait a month.
  • Options
    FilthyChav wrote:
    When I first started on the pill, I wasn't on my period, so my doctor told me to wait two weeks before going at it without a condom. It all worked out fine, but if you're worried, I'd wait a month.

a month?!
  • Options
    Forgive my ignorance but if the pill is prescribed and taken at any time in your cycle other than on the first day of your period then you have to use back up contraceptive [condoms] for 7 days?I dont know if an abortion would affect that procedure.
  • Options
    a month?!
    I'm pretty young though. I think they thought it might take longer to work.
  • Options
    So it's 7 days then to wait, if you take the pill at anytime in the cycle?

The dinatte booklet doesnt make it very clear, it only says whrn you take it when you come on, your protected straight away. :confused:
  • Options
    You are supposed to start taking the pill the day after your abortion. You should have been told this by the doctor who first gave you the pill, and also probably the nurse who explained the abortion procedure to you. As they like to make sure it won't happen again.
    So I'm not sure why you waited about 2 weeks before taking it?

If you were unclear at any point about when to start taking the pill, you could have a) asked your doctor and b) read the info that came with your pill.

Also, they advise you not to have sex until 2 weeks after the abortion, as someone else has already said.

As you seem to have started to take the pill at a apparently random time (if not, please could you elaborate why you only started 2 weeks after), I would wait until I had finished the first packet, had a period and started the next one.
    I don't really think your age makes any difference on how the pill will work. Although, I only started taking it when I was 17. If you take it properly though, you should be protected fine.
  • Options
    Reason I took it 2 weeks after abortion as thats when I had my check up, and I've never been on the pill before, he adviced it to me, and for my skin.

I couldn't take it before as i have a heart condition, but i think thats getting better, and the pill has not affected it so far.

The doctor told me to start taking it now, it's fine to do now. I just went by what he said, and went ahead, and i'm unfamillar with the pill.

In the booklet it says when you take the pill for the first time, when your on ur period ur protected STRAIGHT away.

it doesnt say anything about after an abortion, or starting the tablets, when ur not on ur period. so I wasnt sure what to do. :(:(
  • Options
    it took me about 9 or 10 weeks to feel comfortable enough to have sex after mine.
  • Options
    When I first started the pill, my doctor gave me one to help with my skin. Which I wasn't sure how to take at the time, as I didn't think I had a problem with my skin!! Actually, I'm still not sure how to take it.. But I am a bit less shiny.

If your doctor told you to start taking it 2 weeks after, then all should be fine.

When I started taking the pill (which was also after an abortion), I double checked with the doctor, nurse and counsellor about when to start the pill and things that I wasn't sure on. I read the booklet a few times as well. Am a bit obsessive about details.. But the booklet for my pill (cilest) did have info for after an abortion. Bit odd that your's doesn't.

If you are worried about whether or not you are protected at the moment, then use a condom as well. Doctors normally advise using the pill and condom anyway.

It's best to be safe and worry free.