Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Quick Question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How easy is it to catch HIV through oral?

Comments

• Options
    According to TheSite.org itself...

"The risk of contracting Aids through unprotected oral sex is thought to be much lower - but transmission is possible if semen, vaginal fluid or menstrual blood comes in contact with bleeding gums or mouth infections. You can protect yourself from HIV infection by using condoms..."

So it says here
  • Options
    Does that mean it can't through swallowing?
  • Options
    Well, the semen does enter the system if you swallow it, so I reckon there's a risk there, but I can't say anything with certainty.
  • Options
    dunno, surely if u have bleeding gums/cuts in your mouth the virus can enter there before u swallow/spit?
  • Options

In theory, yes it is a risk .. but HIV is quite an unstable virus and would never survive stomach acid etc .... so swallowing HIV cum is not neccessarily a dead cert to get HIV but the risk is there ....
  • Options
    Put it this way, imagine eating chips and you accidently get a sharp one with scratches your mouth/throat and leaves a small cut. That would increase the chances of catching HIV.
  • Options
    There's always a risk but my understanding is that stomach acid will destroy HIV.

I wouldn't be worried about HIV, I'd be worried about all the others. Herpes in the back of the throat doesn't sound fun to me.