Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Ebay photo's banned

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I don't think there's been a thread on this...

Story

Do you think that taking the photo's off was the right choice for ebay to make or do you think that it was the wrong decision and that it's being too sensitive over the nature of the photograph's?

Comments

• Options
    The photographs themselves maybe perfectly innocent, but you've got to ask the question why would anyone want them? The kind of person who would want photos of another persons children naked are the kind of people who a caring mother would not want to sell them to!
  • Options
    It was against eBay policy and was taken down, presumably to stop eBay copping some flak.

The woman was probably being a bit more cynical than she claims. Why would pictures of someone else's family be worth anything unless there is some, erm, interest for the purchaser?

She is right though. You can see more in Argos Additions.
  • Options
    I know it may not be the case but someone could see them as artistic, or think the child is cute. I mean you get those magazines with pictures of babies where you can vote for baby of the week and things like that, I know I wouldn't mind a photo of some of them. The fact that the child is naked should be irrelevant, the picture wasn't supposed to be used for any other reason other than that, and she justifies the sale by saying it was to raise money to see her daughter. I guess I just don't see anything wrong with it and think ebay went over the top.
  • Options
    You and i think its innocent, because were not perverts.. but if you had kids would you want a peadophile to get his dirty hands on a naked picture of them? Its a sad fact of life i'm afraid. I'm with E-Bay on this one.
  • Options
    But banning a photo isn't going to stop them getting what the want. If they wanted pictures/video's of children naked, (and it pains me to say it) there is much more explicit material around that is easy to get.
  • Options
    Yes but Ebay doen't want any part of it and who can blame them?
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Yes but Ebay doen't want any part of it and who can blame them?

But they're not being a part of anything. We're talking about a minority of people who to be honest I doubt would even bother, seeing as they can get worse for free.
  • Options
    Yes but their reputation is on the line, should anything go wrong.
  • Options
    i dont know why people are complaining so much, they were taken down because of policy that customers agree to when they sign up, called terms and conditions, fair enough if they dont like it, but they signed up to it
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Yes but their reputation is on the line, should anything go wrong.

True, but I still think it's far fetched.
  • Options
    EBay were right because of their T&Cs. It isn't censorship.

You have to question why the woman was selling the picture.

Be very aware that I am against artistic censorship. People who take the pictures should not be jailed or condemned as paedophiles. As the woman says, you can see more provocative pictures in the underwear or swimwear parts of a children's clothing catalogue.

I don't think the pictures are offensive. I do question why the woman was selling them, and whether she was naive or cynically trying to get people to buy the pictures because her children were not clothed.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    EBay were right because of their T&Cs. It isn't censorship.

You have to question why the woman was selling the picture.

Be very aware that I am against artistic censorship. People who take the pictures should not be jailed or condemned as paedophiles. As the woman says, you can see more provocative pictures in the underwear or swimwear parts of a children's clothing catalogue.

I don't think the pictures are offensive. I do question why the woman was selling them, and whether she was naive or cynically trying to get people to buy the pictures because her children were not clothed.

I doubt she was trying to get people to buy the pictures because her children were not fully clothed! I don't think it was naive really, fair enough if it's in the terms and conditions, but it's not even something that would have crossed my mind because it would be "small fry" to a paedophile, I just couldn't see them bothering. Why bother when there are other easier ways?
  • Options
    I doubt she was trying to get people to buy the pictures because her children were not fully clothed! I don't think it was naive really, fair enough if it's in the terms and conditions, but it's not even something that would have crossed my mind because it would be "small fry" to a paedophile, I just couldn't see them bothering. Why bother when there are other easier ways?

people at ebay might even have wanted to keep them there, but terms and conditions are exactly that, thats why they were removed, there doesnt need to be an argument about it
  • Options
    MrG wrote:
    people at ebay might even have wanted to keep them there, but terms and conditions are exactly that, thats why they were removed, there doesnt need to be an argument about it

I'm not argueing. I was asking whether people thought what ebay did was right, not to do with the terms and conditions but on principle.
  • Options
    I'm not argueing. I was asking whether people thought what ebay did was right, not to do with the terms and conditions but on principle.

you cant really have a discussion when the photos were never taken down for any matter of principle
  • Options
    But banning a photo isn't going to stop them getting what the want. If they wanted pictures/video's of children naked, (and it pains me to say it) there is much more explicit material around that is easy to get.

Not that easy though...

Just because the filth exists, doesn't mean that it should be handed to them on a plate.
  • Options
    I doubt she was trying to get people to buy the pictures because her children were not fully clothed!

No. I get the impression that either she was so cynical as to try and sell naked pictures of children, or so naive as to what would happen to them.

Why would anyone buy pictures of somebody else's kids without a motive? I doubt they were works of artistic genius.

The "paedophiles are everywhere" comments do unnerve me though; or they do given the context. Most paedophiles who abuse are known to the victim. The ones who get caught with images of child abuse just tend to be pathetic lonely men.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    The "paedophiles are everywhere" comments do unnerve me though; or they do given the context. Most paedophiles who abuse are known to the victim. The ones who get caught with images of child abuse just tend to be pathetic lonely men.

and most are family members, or close family friends, not a old strange guy in a park
  • Options
    Perhaps the woman is not as naive as you think. I doubt she can have thought that she would raise much money from the sale of the pictures but from the publicity resulting from their removal? I suspect she will have derived rather more benefit as a result of that.
  • Options
    i saw this in the news a few days ago...the women seemed pretty shocked by the whole thing, definately was naive about it all