Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Doing things alone

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My friend is going to a gig alone tonight (because I couldnt go with her) and I was really suprised she would go by herself. It got me thinking-what sorts of things would people be prepared to do alone?

Would you, for example:

Go shopping alone
Go to a bar/club alone
Go a pub alone
Go to a gig alone
Go to an art gallery/museum alone
Go travelling alone
Go to a cinema alone

Out of those I reckon i would definately go shopping, art galleries and possibly a cinema alone but would feel really uncomfortable going to a very 'social' place like a club or bar by myself

Anyone else?

Comments

• Options
    ive been shopping, pub, gallery, travelling and the cinema on my own. its always been fun, always got chatting to people (apart from the shopping and cinema obviously) its not something that really bothers me. i dont do it all the time or anything. like ill go the pub when im in a bad mood and fancy a pint, but theres generally people there i know or ill talk to someone.

possibly tonight i may go for a pint by myself because im in a bit of a shitty mood and upset today. my mates cant go because we are saving for our hols next week! so ill go alone! heh such a saddo,.
  • Options
    I'd do most of them alone - though i've never been to a club / pub where i've not know there would be someone i know there.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Wyetry wrote:
    I'd do most of them alone - though i've never been to a club / pub where i've not know there would be someone i know there.

Me too.

I used to go to the cinema on my own a lot. Have eaten in a restaurant alone before and things too. I don't see much wrong with it. As long as you like your own company.
  • Options
    Yeah when i go away with work and stuff you often have to entertain yourself alone - i tend to take a book though cos otherwise you can sit there and look a bit gormless or like you want random wierdo's to go and talk to you.
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    I go my local on my own and I'll go shopping on my own but that's about it.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    I go to the pub, shopping and to "cultural" places on my own, I also go travelling on my own sometimes.

As to how often, I think it depends on what mood I'm in.
  • Options
    shopping, that's about it!
  • Options
    id do any of those alone I think. Possibly not travelling, but I know people do and have a fabulous time.
    I actually quite like my own company. I dont have to compromise as much.
  • Options
    I go shopping on my own, never really thought about it as being unusual. Been to art galleries, historical places (Edinburgh Castle etc) by myself.

Never been to the cinema by myself but the idea of doing doesn't bother me. I'm going to a gig by myself in September but that's only because no other bugger wants to go. Not exactly relishing the idea but that's only because I'm having to travel down to Newcastle.

I used to be worried about doing things by myself but then I met my friend Jen. She went of to Budapest by herself, which makes me feel a bit daft about being scared of going to Newcastle.
  • Options
    Wyetry wrote:
    Seconded. Possibly not travelling or clubbing but otherwise, why not?
  • Options
    Travelling alone is good - though it took me ages to have the confidence to speak to random people in hostels and stuff - but it means you can go where you want when you want rather than doing what the majority of you want to do as it were.
  • Options
    Yeah, travelling alone is actually preferable for me..although it does depend where, I suppose. I've done it before, and would do it again, definitely. I also prefer to shop alone, as I like to get in and out as fast as possible and most of my friends are real browsers. I also like spending hours in bookshops, and don't really know anyone else who'd have the patience :(

I've been to gigs alone, too, just because no other bugger wanted to (or could) go. It's not a big deal, I'm there for the music not the social possibilities...though sometimes you get chatting to nice people. Cinema is the same, once the lights go down and the film starts - what does it matter if you're there alone or with a group of ten people?

The others I'd do/have done, too, although possibly not a nightclub...though that's probably because I'm not overly keen on them at the best of times.
  • Options
    I prefer shopping on my own - I can go where I ant and basically do what I want. IT also means that I basically don't have to dragged around every signle clothes and shoe shop...
  • Options
    shopping, that's about it!
    snap
    infact i prefer shopping alone
  • Options
    I never realised people did so many thing by themselves. I think its good!

I used to go shopping by myself a lot and actually preferred it to being with someone else.
  • Options
    i wouldn't go to a pub on my own, maybe if it was just for a pint while reading the paper but thats just not me, i wouldn't go to a gig either on my own unless i was a die hard fan...the rest i'd do on my own yea
  • Options
    Only thing I'd do on me own is shopping as I do it quicker by myself. I hate being dragged to shops by other people.

I do like my own company just if I want to appreciate it, I'm happy enough staying in the house on me own doing whatever I choose.