Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Blanket curfews declared billegal

Story.

The HIgh Court has stated that police do not have the power to arrest people or take them home under the law, and that "people should be free to walk the streets free from interference from police".

It will obviously be appealed, but this is wonderful news.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It will obviously be appealed, but this is wonderful news.

No, it isn't. It's still some guy in a room somewhere telling people what they can and can't do. This time he's decided for the "can" side of the argument, he shouldn't have that kind of power at all.

Fair play to the lad though.
  • Options
    it basically says its unlawful so like with the terroism thing they just push a more generic version through parliament
  • Options
    it basically says its unlawful so like with the terroism thing they just push a more generic version through parliament
    That was the problem- it was too vague.

It cannot be used to catch criminals by sweeping innocent people off the street. They will have to find a way of targeting it better.

I don't think many will complain about keeping trouble-makers off the streets. But, as always, this is not the way to do it.

ASBOs are a joke too.
  • Options
    should of saw chairman of association of london local authorites or something saying "the streeets are safer" of theyll befucking safer if you remove a good proportion of the public from them, infact lets make everyone have to stay indoors only!
  • Options
    Shame. Teenagers can be rather annoying.
  • Options
    Good on the lad. It's a particularly stupid piece of legislation and punishes the vast majority of innocent young people just because of a couple of shitheads.
  • Options
    ginner wrote:
    Shame. Teenagers can be rather annoying.

and you were born 18 i suppose?
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    and you were born 18 i suppose?

20, surely? ;)
  • Options
    SkiveSkive Posts: 15,286 Skive's The Limit
    Police still have the power to disperse groups of 2 or more people if they have reason to believe that the group has been intimidating other members of the public. If any are under 16 and unsupervised they can be returned home.
    So why the fuck do we need curfews anyway?
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Police still have the power to disperse groups of 2 or more people if they have reason to believe that the group has been intimidating other members of the public. If any are under 16 and unsupervised they can be returned home.

Those powers were granted as part of the curfew legislation.

And they've been declared unlawful.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Those powers were granted as part of the curfew legislation.

And they've been declared unlawful.

Was watching Newsnight last night and some solicitor working on behalf of this boy said that those powers were unaffected.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    Was watching Newsnight last night and some solicitor working on behalf of this boy said that those powers were unaffected.
    Fair enough. I can't keep up with all this anti-social legislation because these set of twats produce so much of it.

Well nowt will change then. The police will just make up a complaint, just like they do now in fact.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    Well nowt will change then. The police will just make up a complaint, just like they do now in fact.

At least the principles behind that power are different.
    Weekender Offender 
  • Options
    Skive wrote:
    At least the principles behind that power are different.
    Oh definitely, I know everyone in the office is delighted the lad won.

I don't like how this anti-social obsession is going. All it is doing is giving whingeing old ladies a legal right to prevent kids from having fun.