Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

what is the rises in council tax actually paying for

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i dont see better equipment being used, i dont see recycling facilities being put in, i dont see street lights working any better or more efficiently, the only thing i see is more council staff, well people walking arounf with LBN (london borough of newham) jackets

Comments

• Options
    Olympics :p
  • Options
    Aladdin wrote:
    Olympics :p

actually true :lol:
  • Options
    How much has it increased by and have you looked at the information which the council will have sent out to you with your bill?
  • Options
    The rises are unfair.

Most of the local government budget is paid for out of central funds. The increases in central funds match inflation, but if staff want a payrise or councils want to do new things then they need to raise the money themselves.

The huge rises in council tax don't make that much difference to the actual budget.
  • Options
    At the moment in our town the council have decided to dig up every single street at once. It makes a ten minute bus journey 30 minutes at least to get out of town.
  • Options
    It's to get those with fixed incomes out of their homes and into smaller ones (pensioners, I am looking at you) to free up space in the housing market, which the government cannot afford to let drop or the whole thing will go pop.

To say that it's all funded centrally is a bit of a misnomer, all tax goes to the same place, regardless of the political spin put on it.