Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

tolerance in relationships

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Where's the line between accepting someone's faults as part of who they are and being tolerant of them, and deciding there's too much you dislike about a person to want to be with them any more?

You can't expect anyone to be perfect, of course, so where do you draw the line? Some things about my girlfriend get on my nerves at times, but it's difficult to find the line between putting up with the other person's faults because that's part of making a relationship work, and realising that actually you're so wound up that you don't want to go out with them any more...

(I'm not really after advice on my own personal relationship here; just wondered if anyone ever thinks the same way and has any input... thanks :) )

Comments

• Options
    if there are that many things you dislike about them, then its not working. You cant force these things. A lot of relationships break up. It takes a while for people to find someone truly suited.
  • Options
    I believe if your truly love a person you cant even see their faults no matter how blatant they may be,
    If they are that bad thy et on your nerves you have to at least tell the person what they are and why they bug you before they build up to the point of damaging a reltionship, after you do that depends what happens really

Al down to cpmmunication ad honesty I think
  • Options
    I believe if your truly love a person you cant even see their faults no matter how blatant they may be,
    Well if thats true then me and my husband have never truly loved each other during the 9 years weve been together :rolleyes:
    If you are blind to your partners faults, then thats infatuation and youre delusional. If their little `idiosyncrasies`(shall we say) wind you up to the point of distraction on a regular basis, thne maybe it is time for a re-think on your suitability to each other, but I can CERTAINLY see my partners faults. he can be an annoying bastard sometimes. The positive stuff far outweighs it though.
  • Options
    Depends what the faults were! My ex had major faults, dont think i will ever forgive them for the way they acted.
  • Options
    I don't think there is a line as such, it does depend on the two people. Some people's relationships thrive on conflict, and some don't.

If you don't ever get really pissed off at your partner then you're not being honest with what's going on. But if you get pissed off all the time then the relationship isn't working.