Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Not again...

Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
As I've mentioned before, for the last 8 years the same things have happened again and again:
  1. I make new friends.
  2. We have some good times together (how good varies).
  3. Eventually (varies from 3 months to 7 years) they start acting distant and I get several clues that they don't want to hang out with me anymore.
  4. Either they tell me outright that they don't or I just stop bothering them.
  5. I never, ever get an explanation for why.
This has happened 6 times in the last 8 years, it can't possibly be a coincidence!

Anyway, to the present: For the last few months I've been going out with a couple of groups of people (some people are the same in all, some aren't) but with one of these groups I've done more stuff than with the others. Two members of this group are Y and A.
Yesterday I got a phone call from A (who was away for a few weeks) and among other things, he mentioned us going to an island together for a few days on the 22nd, but I had never heard of that. He realised that Y (who was the one organising the trip) probably hadn't told me, and started offering some excuses like "He probably didn't tell you because we're an even number already, and if one more comes he'll have to pay for a whole room" and such.
This has upset me a lot, because I was talking to Y just the previous day and he never mentioned something like that (although about 2 months ago he said that he may organise one such trip in summer). Now my first reaction would have been to call Y and try to make conversation to see if he'd mention it, but he's away for the weekend so I can't reach him until tomorrow.

So what should I say? Just try to make conversation, see if he mentions it? Ask him outright why he didn't ask me to come? Ask him something like "What are you doing near the end of the month"? Try to find a more subtle way to fish out the information? Or should I give him the benefit of doubt and see if he mentions it by himself, either on the phone or in person in Tuesday (when we've planned to meet)? And even if he does mention it, how can I be sure that he did it because he meant to and not because A called him and said something like "I screwed up, I told Zal about the trip"?
I'm even more upset than normal because I've known Y for almost 13 years now and although we never were that close, we've never had trouble with each other either. And on the other hand, he did tell me the other day that we should arrange to meet at either one's house this summer (as we do every year).

If you've read so far, thanks and sorry if it didn't have much of a structure. I just hope it's not the same pattern happening again, I don't know how many times more I can take it... And I still have no idea what's so wrong with me that makes so many people so different to each other act the same way!

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    It's just social paranoia, self fulfilling prophecy really. You think "oh fuck they don't like me"! Then you start acting in a certain way because you think there's a problem, which in turn creates a problem that wasn't there.
  • Options
    You might want to explain that a bit better, please. First, suppose I actually did think they don't like me: how exactly does that make me act in a way that makes them not like me? And also, this time I was foolish enough to believe that it wouild be different, so I really didn't think they didn't like me.

And please, someone answer my questions above.
  • Options
    Don't mention it at all to either of them and see what happens - if you start calling them up on it then you'd be actively like making them not want to ask you.

Just arrange to meet up with the one you were going to meet up with.
  • Options
    Well, Y called me a few minutes ago. I'm going to be with them in about an hour. I hope they mention something, but still I won't be sure it's because they meant to.
  • Options
    Nope, no mention at all. But it seems weird, why would they not invite me there but still want to spend time with me in other settings?
  • Options
    you don't have to do everything with your mates, i have mates that are going to holiday without me, and they never even asked me to go either but i still talk to them and have a laugh with them, they don't have to be your life partners, just people you can talk to and share your experiences with...you'll find connections with some more than others but thats about it...
  • Options
    turlough wrote:
    you don't have to do everything with your mates, i have mates that are going to holiday without me, and they never even asked me to go either but i still talk to them and have a laugh with them, they don't have to be your life partners, just people you can talk to and share your experiences with...you'll find connections with some more than others but thats about it...
    Perhaps you're right...
    So you think I shouldn't feel left out, although the "leader" had mentioned it to me vaguely a few months ago and A clearly thought I was coming?

BTW, to avoid misunderstandings: I'm not being sarcastic.
  • Options
    Zalbor wrote:
    Perhaps you're right...
    So you think I shouldn't feel left out, although the "leader" had mentioned it to me vaguely a few months ago and A clearly thought I was coming?

BTW, to avoid misunderstandings: I'm not being sarcastic.

lol don't worry mate i didn't take it as sarcasm

i don't think you should feel left out, just not surprised that they took things a step further without you...now if they told you you couldn't come and to fuck off and never talk to them again...then i'd be worried about the validity of the friendships
  • Options
    I guess that's right, thank you.