Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

University?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
How do people view university? Is the 3/4/5/6 years people undertake a means to an end, i.e. to help you get a better job, or because you enjoy an area of study.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    A mixture of both?

Unless of course you are suggesting we ALL do law for example as it directly relates to a well paid job. Of course anyone that wasn't in fact a moron would see how quickly our economy would crumble with this kind of attitude as we need a variety of skills and professions.
  • Options
    I saw it as something to do.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I went for various reasons, partly to better myself educationally but also to better myself socially too. Going to university will do both of what you just said.

Are you suggesting that one should not go to uni unless it is to better ourselves in the work environment? If so, I think that is a very naive opinion.
  • Options
    it's all about employment! ;)

i went because i wanted to and couldn't think of anything else to do. will think about that when i'm finished!
  • Options
    Life experiences and future employment.

Oh, and stop attacking the poor girl. She's entitled to her opinion.
  • Options
    I'm doing to for fun. tbh.
  • Options
    Neil wrote:
    Life experiences and future employment.

Oh, and stop attacking the poor girl. She's entitled to her opinion.

She is being attacked for her comments over these boards about people wasting her money and her shocking comment about the dole in anything goes.
  • Options
    I went to further my knowledge, I wanted to learn more about the subject I'm studying now :)
  • Options
    I agree i went to learn more - I think that quite a lot of people get pushed into going to uni just because its the expected thing - I don't think there is loads of point going if your not really interested in the subject your learning - now several years on from uni most of my friends are earning about the same ammount regardless of weather they went or not and if anything those who didnt' go earn a bit more. Though obv it might be a better test to see how many of us who did go earn more when we get to say 50.
  • Options
    To be honest it didnt really occur to me not to go, it was just a given.

It wasnt really about studying though, it was avoiding work for three years and having a laugh, which it was.
  • Options
    Both, to be honest.

I did the law with a view to employment, and politics for the hell of it.
  • Options
    You do know that being a lawyer makes you untrustworthy and evil.
  • Options
    bongbudda wrote:
    To be honest it didnt really occur to me not to go, it was just a given.

It wasnt really about studying though, it was avoiding work for three years and having a laugh, which it was.

Same here, It was a given - I had to go to get into the area of work I wanted (which I stayed in for about a year before moving into a completely different field!!)

I think it is about achieving what you need to get the job you desire, but it is also an experience that you have to enjoy and make the most of. I think it contributes a lot to shaping the kind of person you become, as you spend (in most cases) your first periods of your life living and depending on yourself.
  • Options
    purely to better myself.
  • Options
    I miss being at uni already and I've only been home one day. The social side of things I knew I would be good at before I went. It was just certain modules (genetics, clinical chemistry, statistics) that were compulsory that fucked up my academic side...and the fact that I have very little motivation when I'm not interested. Although I kind of fell into the research project that I'm trying to get published now by accident, never would've predicted it.