Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

going back a year...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
I've been told that it's quite likely that the only way i'm now going to be able to get into a school is to go back a year. I know that i am capable of catching up with the course work and taking my GCSEs in may/june time. But if i have to do this then i have to.

But has anyone been put back a year?

and can people help me see the positives here, because i can only see the negatives right now

:(
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    A mate of mine had a few issues with jonny law and ended up in a hospital for a while during his teenage years.

He went back to do his A-levels two years after he should have done and it wasnt really an issue. But then he did go to a private school so it might be different elsewhere.
  • Options
    So you will notionally be a year behind. Big deal.

It's only notional anyway. It's not really a year behind. You'll realise it when you're older.
  • Options
    People develop at massively different rates anyway, I'm not sure I was really 'ready' and mature enough to take my A-levels when I did, which showed in me fucking them royally.
  • Options
    I'm gonna be a year behind, because I was failing and am therefore restarting. It's gonna make little difference in the long run.

By the way, you wouldn't be able to catch up your GCSE work by that time. It's a lot of work.
  • Options
  • Options
    You'll be the oldest in the year..probably. Which eventually means you will be 18 first..therefore able to drink legally before everyone else. That's a benefit for you!
  • Options
    I did an extra year of A Levels and fell a year behind. Quite a few people do, it's not completely unusual - I'm pretty sure Kaffrin did as well.

The worst thing for me was that my friends moved on and I didn't. However, if you're starting at a new institution anyway I don't think you'll encounter that.
    :yes: it isn't really a big deal, at least this way you can really do your best with the same oppertunity as everyone else to do well, as opposed to working your arse off to catch up and run the risk of burning out before the exams.
  • Options
    My friend stayed behind a year, it was only then that she became my friend because all her friends had gone off to university. It never was an issue for her and i often forget that she is a year older, it just doesnt seem relevant. Dont worry and concentrate on getting good results.
  • Options
    It just feels some what demoralising that at no fault of my own, i'm now having to be put back a year. And i understand in the long run it really won't matter, It just feels difficult now. i'm thinking about possibly doing year 10 at school and taking year 11 at a college affiliated with the school. I suppose I'm worried about bulling as well...but i'd be worried about it what ever year i was put in...i think thats actually my biggest fear, that if kids find out then i'm going to be made to look really stupid....
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure Kaffrin did as well.

:yes:

due to health, mentalness and shit choices, i did an extra year of A levels, and an extra year of degree, so i was 23 when i graduated.

no big deal, really. no one thought i was any different unless i told them - they just assumed i was their age.

on the bright side - it means an extra year before you have to do annoying adult things like work full time, and pay taxes.
  • Options
    But i won't get EMA for that extra year i'm at school as well will I?
  • Options
    Yes. Why wouldn't you?
  • Options
    I'm 2 years behind due to health, etc things that happened. I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you stick at it. Thats what matters. EMA, Hmm you may not recieve it if you do an extra year. But think yourself lucky you get it at all. I wasn't entitled to it last year. Because I was in the second year when they brought it out. And i'm repeating the second year again now, and still not entitled.
  • Options

no its for people doing stuff after school at 16..... youll be at school
  • Options
    You end up a "year behind" if you do a gap year, it's really no big deal.