Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Losing a Good Friend

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Basically, two of my friends were stabbed after a night out last week in an unprovoked attack on them and sadly one of my friends died. Us and the lads had got back off of the best holiday of our lives and now this has happened for no rational reason we are all staying together and meeting all the time trying to come to terms with what has happened, but im finding it so difficult to do this. I tried going back to work today but found it seemed wrong and i just didnt want to be there. Can anybody who has had a similar experience in anyway please shed some light on how to start rebuilding or at least coming to terms with it?

Cheers.

Comments

• Options
    people say time is the best healer. i know thats not much help tho.
    try focusing your mind on other things... it might help a bit.
    i feel for you. *hugs*
  • Options
    <Sam><Sam> Deactivated Posts: 57 Boards Initiate
    Hi EssexBoy

Sorry to hear you're going through such a rough time at the moment.

This article might help you understand how you're feeling. If you feel like you want to talk to someone about whats happened Cruse Bereavement Care provide support to people who've been affected by the death of someone they know, their number is 0808 808 1677.

It's also worth remembering your GP is another port of call.

Take care
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your loss, you must be really shocked in addition to being grief-stricken and my heart goes out to you.

I lost a friend a few weeks back in a tragic accident (not the same circumstances, but just as unexpected) and it's been a whirlwind of emotions ever since. I do feel like the pieces of my life (and sanity) that became unglued are starting to heal again though, even after such a short time. Try and talk about this to a friend, family member or a trained professional on one of the many helplines for the bereaved. I personally chose to call CRUSE (after several referrals from this very site) and they were very kind and understanding and the fella I spoke to really let me vent all my frustrations and listened and advised in a way that a lot of my friends aren't able to (primarily because they're grieving themselves).

Take time for yourself. It's often good to keep yourself occupied at first (it most certainly helped me) but if you feel as though you can't quite face work yet, then take the time you need for yourself. Talk to your boss or manager and explain the situation, of course if necessary you may need a doctor's note. Visiting your GP (especially if you've been with the same one for a while) is definitely an important and good idea, they can point you in one of many different directions.

Most importantly, take your time and look after yourself. It's horrific that your friend died in such violent circumstances, but you do need to try and let go of the anger and shock surrounding that. Your friend will live on in your memory, and you need to try and move forward in your life too, as rough as that sounds.

Good luck getting through this, you can always PM me if you need to talk.