Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Which is worse-smoking or drinking?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Which of these do people consider worse for their health. smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol?

lets say...smoking 20 a day or drinking a few bevvies everday and getting drunk twice a week?

bit of a vague question... didn't really know how to phrase it.

i've always considered smoking to be owrse but my views are changing. now i think theyre as bad as each other. what are your views?

Comments

• Options
    smoking is worse I think. Drinking alcohol in moderation isnt bad for you particularly, although binge drinking and getting drunk twice a week is too much, and not recommended.
  • Options
    smoking is worse I think. Drinking alcohol in moderation isnt bad for you particularly, although binge drinking and getting drunk twice a week is too much, and not recommended.

yeah i suppose each person is totally different. i drink far too much. get drunk more than twice a week and must stop soon. but then i don't smoke so i try to make myself feel better by that! daft i know.
  • Options
    i'd say smoking is worse.

they say that drinking certain things in moderation can actually be good for you (just red wine, or others too? not sure) but smoking is never good.

taken to excess i guess drinking can be just as bad as smoking, though.
  • Options
    smoking. i don't smoke, but i do drink. but i don't drink very often (when i do, i do though!).

smoking also harms other people whereas having a drink isn't forcing other people to drink. though i do realise obviously drink can lead to other problems with relationships and the likes.
  • Options
    Smoking is by far the worse of the two.
  • Options
    I think both as as bad as each other in excess. Binge drinking certainly dangerous. I quit smoking a couple of years ago and can't even stand the smell of it now! I don't drink in loads anymore, just a few glasses of wine at the weekend mainly cause i can't cope with the hangovers anymore!!!
  • Options
    smoking. half the chemicals in cigs aren't identifiable - most of the stuff in alcohol is identified isnt it? plus alcohol isn't as adictive, most people get addicted to cigs who try them, alcoholics are usually using alcohol to cover something else up. alchohol is only harmful if its binged on.
  • Options
    I'd say smoking is worse out of the two:)
  • Options
    Which of these do people consider worse for their health. smoking cigarettes or drinking alcohol?

lets say...smoking 20 a day or drinking a few bevvies everday and getting drunk twice a week?

bit of a vague question... didn't really know how to phrase it.

i've always considered smoking to be owrse but my views are changing. now i think theyre as bad as each other. what are your views?

Smoking every time.
  • Options
    Surely they are as bad as each other in terms of damage caused when addicted. A casual smoker who smokes a couple of cigarettes a few times a week is not going to notice a massive difference in their health imo, the same as someone who drinks a few alcholic drinks a few times a week. But when it becomes a lifestyle and something more excessive like 5/6pints or more a night or a pack of 20 a day, i would say both are equally as serious. Another thing is that alcohol in the body can create external problems/injuries ie alcohol related car accidents and such like, i know its not exactly what you meant but i do consider that bad for your health and also other peoples.
  • Options
    personally i would think smoking is worse because the lungs are not as good as recovering as the liver.
  • Options
    there is no benefit at all to smoking

whilst a little alcohol is supposed to be good for you, like red wine for example .. but I truly think only a very small amount.
  • Options
    smoking ...and nicotine is the most addictive and destructive of all the recreational drugs used imo.
  • Options
    Teh_GerbilTeh_Gerbil Posts: 13,332 Born on Earth, Raised by The Mix
    Smoking imho.

It really is a destructive downward slope.
  • Options
    yeah, smoking is really bad for ya, but its just so damn enjoyable. I do actually want to quit at somepoint, but never seems the right time.
  • Options
    Smoking, bad for you and everyone else around you :yeees:
  • Options
    smoking is worse than drinking.
  • Options
    Of course, smoking is by far the worse of the two. The problem is that alcohol consumption urges smoking
  • Options
    If both were invented now they woud be illegal.
    Drinking in moderation is not as harmful for you as smoking.
    funily enough if mot drugs were invented now such as marijuana I reckon they would be legal

Many professional athletes drink in modeartion and are stil in perfect health.
    bad thing about alchol is it has much more associations tied in with it such as fighting teenage sex etc etc
  • Options
    I would say smoking, because it doesn't just affect the person directly, it has an effect on the health of all around them. Its direct effects on the taker are probably more severe aswell, depending on the amounts consumed.
  • Options
    It entirely depends on the type of harm you are talking about, in terms of here and now danger drinking to excess is clearly the more dangerous. This risk comes not from damage to the liver or whatever but the much increased risk of accidents, fights, etc.

Over the long term smoking will probably be worse for you, though again it depends on its usage level.