Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

an injunction to stop someone reading a book

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1691805,00.html

no law was broken, and i can understand an injunction stopping them selling or displaying it in public view, but to stop them reading it :eek:

Comments

• Options
    hahaha whatever :rolleyes:

all this fuss and the books aren't exactly masterpeices.
  • Options
    Makes sense. The injunction is perfectly fair and reasonable according to intellectual property law.

It is, of course, unenforcable unless the people with the copies write about it. But that's the point. If you are mistakenly given access to confidential information you are not entitled to, then it is a criminal offence to act on that information.
  • Options
    Seems fair enough to me.
  • Options
    It is, of course, unenforcable unless the people with the copies write about it. But that's the point. If you are mistakenly given access to confidential information you are not entitled to, then it is a criminal offence to act on that information.

Am I right in thinking that the offence would only occur if they tried to profit from the knowledge? Otherwise it would be hard to prove a loss, I would have thought.

makes good publicity thought, dunnit?
  • Options
    klintock wrote:
    Am I right in thinking that the offence would only occur if they tried to profit from the knowledge? Otherwise it would be hard to prove a loss, I would have thought.

Exactly. They can't prove you've read the book under the injunction if you don't try and profit from it or ruin it for other people.
  • Options
    Thanks, Kermit. :D