Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Sion Jenkins, yet another retrial

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
story

How many times can he be retried, and how is it that it's happening at all after his original conviction was quashed?

Comments

• Options
    From what I've read I'm surprised that no verdict was agreed...
  • Options
    Not being a lawyer I'd have thought that being unable to agree should mean there is reasonable doubt
  • Options
    Not necessarily. If 6 in the jury think he's guilty, and 6 believe there to be reasonable doubt, then it's a tie, instead of not guilty.
  • Options
    But surely if 6 people think there is reasonable doubt that means there is reasonable doubt (ie a significant percentage of the jury think there is reasonable doubt over his guilt).

I'm not a fan of tied juries meaning someone is either retried again and again or set free. If the jury cannot agree I think that should be treated as a not guilty.
  • Options
    I think kermit would probably be the person to explain it.

I personally would rather they were retried than found not guilty.
  • Options
    The first conviction was qwashed because it was seen as unsound. However, the Law Lords didnt think he was definately innocent, so he got another trial, this ended in a hung jury and given its murder this wont do. So there is another one, or at least thats my understanding.
  • Options
    The issue of hung juries is very complicated, and it isn't something I understand myself.

I've gone and looked it up in Archbold, the Crown Court Bible, as it were.

A jury must deliberate for at least 2 hours and 10 minutes before a direction of a majority verdict can be given by the trial judge.
    An order is discretionary after that period of time.
    In a jury of not less than eleven, 10 must agree. In a jury of 10, 9 must agree.

If there is one hung jury, then it is common practice for a second trial. If there is a second hung jury then it is common practice for the prosecution to formally offer no evidence.