Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

i got some of my mums friends sleeping pills

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
for exams as i occasionally get terrible insomnia and nothing like nytol ahas ever helped, i normally deal with this myself and just relax etc, but anyway ive got exams coming up so for nights where ifeel i wont sleep ive got some amitriptyline to effectively get me some real sleep so i wont be passing out on desk

is there any known side effects etc?

from reading mental health sites, its a sedative/anti depressant that seems to be quite harmful if youre on anything other drugs, legal or not legal, so im defeintly not drinking

ps - i will only take this in dire emergencies, tried one last nite so i know what its like and it worked alrite, made me feel a bit 'plain' though

Comments

• Options
    charming its also prescribed as a tricyclic anti-depressant preventing reabosrbtion of hormones that make u happy/content, thus extending whatever mood youre in...

should be careful i think
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    I would strongly recommend that you don't take another person's prescription. Secondly, what you have is quite strong and I wouldn't consider it to be worth the risk of feeling dulled and slow around your exam time. Why on earth don't you go and see your doctor, or take some other preventative measures? This seems really drastic....
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    I would strongly recommend that you don't take another person's prescription. Secondly, what you have is quite strong and I wouldn't consider it to be worth the risk of feeling dulled and slow around your exam time. Why on earth don't you go and see your doctor, or take some other preventative measures? This seems really drastic....

i asked my doctor about it once before and she was suggesting all these anti-histimine things to help me relax, but the problem is i feel relaxed and tired i just dont switch off in my head too easily so to speak. the only 3 times ive ever taken nytol, i stayed awake all night and my eyes just kept shutting on me 14 hours later

my gp helps sod all though, and well this is only for emergency, and i wouldnt consider it any other time of year, its just i do need sleep to be able to think about work and not sleep
  • Options
    By the way, amitriptyline is an antidepressant with a sedative effect, not a sleeping medication. I really don't think you should be taking this medication around your exams.
  • Options
    Thats not really a sleeping pill in the traditional sense of the word.

Does your mum not need these pills? It seems odd that you would steal what could well be a needed medication from your parent.

I hate to be arsey about this but taking someone elses prescription when you really know NOTHING about the drug is nuts.
  • Options
    he said his mum's friend
  • Options
    SOPH1A wrote:
    he said his mum's friend

His mum's friends still might need them.

I wouldn't start taking sleeping pills unless i really needed to, you could end up falling into a cycle of needing them to get to sleep at night.

Plus they'r someone elses medication.
  • Options
    Shogun wrote:
    His mum's friends still might need them.

Exactly. You've given me the impression you've just nicked them, but what if she really needs them? Totally bang out of order thing to do without permission, really immature.

And then even with permission, you as a chemistry student (that is right isn't it?) should be one of the first people to point out it's a downright stupid idea to take someone elses medication.

:rolleyes:
  • Options
    they arent nicked
  • Options
    Does she know you have them?
  • Options
    if you are getting a lot of insomnia, maybe you should go to the doctor, and they might prescribe you something with a few less side effects.
    I got prescribed zopiclone for occasional use because sometimes i just cant switch off, and then i panic that im not going to get any sleep, so they gave me a low dose of them and I just have one if I really cant drop off and have been lying there a long time, i just take one and am asleep in 15 mins. Other sleeping tablets, especially the herbal ones, give me a proper hangover the next day, probably worse than id feel if i just hadnt slept.
  • Options
    dude taking someone elses meds is stupid. make your gp listen to you. or see a different one.
  • Options
    if you are getting a lot of insomnia, maybe you should go to the doctor, and they might prescribe you something with a few less side effects.
    I got prescribed zopiclone for occasional use because sometimes i just cant switch off, and then i panic that im not going to get any sleep, so they gave me a low dose of them and I just have one if I really cant drop off and have been lying there a long time, i just take one and am asleep in 15 mins. Other sleeping tablets, especially the herbal ones, give me a proper hangover the next day, probably worse than id feel if i just hadnt slept.

yeh zopoclone works really well for very rare usage

i given them bk to my mums friend earlier today, after i read some side effect of it :eek2:

im gonna try convince my doctor to give me a small prescription of zopoclone cause it does work well and dont give u a hangover feeling
  • Options
    Very glad to hear it! In the short term while you are revising for your exams it is probably a sensible solution, but have you thought about looking at your stress management techniques in the long term?
  • Options
    I'm on a one week a month script for Zopiclone because of my on going sleep issue its probably the best sleeping pill I've used.

In future don't take other people's med's, especially that, if it was straight Valium or something I'd be less alarmed (though the morality is just as bad).
  • Options
    LadyJade wrote:
    Very glad to hear it! In the short term while you are revising for your exams it is probably a sensible solution, but have you thought about looking at your stress management techniques in the long term?

its something ive had since i was a young'un i just cant sleep sometimes nomatter i do, i may be tired, my eyes may be closing on me, but i wont fall sleep ill just lay there with my eyes shut still feeling tired
  • Options
    are you more stupid than me Chris??

seriously don't even think of taking them, for god sake you're the one doing the bloody degree, you should know not to take stuff thats not been prescribed by you. go to the damn doctor before i come over there and put you to sleep.
  • Options
    its something ive had since i was a young'un i just cant sleep sometimes nomatter i do, i may be tired, my eyes may be closing on me, but i wont fall sleep ill just lay there with my eyes shut still feeling tired

That doesn't mean you always have to be like that though, you have set up a pattern in your head so that you 'know' you won't fall asleep, when there may be ways to break the negative pattern you are in. It isn't as simple as that, of course, but you shouldn't think there is nothing you can do about it. Excercise may help, and cutting back on coffee or tea may as well...
  • Options
    im the same

weed worked for about 2 years, just got really stoned and knocked myself out .. felt shit the next day tho

now i need some just to get asleep

i also found zopiclone to be effective ... espically with a bit of smoke!
  • Options
    Everyone lay off her eh ! It was only one tablet for fucks sake, i mean if i was ever 'one' tablet short on my script my chemist would take the fuckin' blame! Relax everyone !!
  • Options
    mikey_1001 wrote:
    Everyone lay off her eh ! It was only one tablet for fucks sake, i mean if i was ever 'one' tablet short on my script my chemist would take the fuckin' blame! Relax everyone !!

Congrats on bringing up a dead thread to post a completely irrelevant point.

Whichever way you look at it, taking medication another person has been prescribed is never a bright idea.

Alternatively to robbing others prescriptions though, why not go for a big run, or have a kick about with mates for a couple of hours in the late evening? Latter always does the trick for me.