Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

really bad pains in my side....please help

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok....it's kinda weird....

Yesterday morning i started getting stabbing pains in my right side. Everytime it hit me i was doubled over (and before you ask im not on my period) and couldnt move. So my mum took me to the docs....she had a feel around but it didnt hurt. She said it was either the beginning of appenticitus, a water infection or something to do with my periods. She gave my mum a choice, to take me to the hospital to be oberved or to prescribe painkillers and keep an eye on me. The pains stopped for the rest of that day, but came back again today. Only theyre not stabbing pains but just constant pain. And sometimes it spreads across my stomache aswell. And because ive been ill alot recently my parents dont really believe me. I'm going back to the doctors tomorrow but my friends say to go to the hospital. Any ideas of what it could be?

Comments

• Options
    Poor you, sounds horrible.
    As the doctor has already made some suggestions of what it could be, it sounds like you have a pretty good idea. I had something similar years ago - they first said it was period pains, then appendicitis but it ended up being a urinary tract infection - not nice at all.
    If you can't cope with the pain until your next appointment, call NHS Direct. They can ask you questions to determine how serious it is and whether you should go to hospital. Hopefully it won't come to that and your GP will be able to help.
    Hope you're better soon :)

NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Web: www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk
    Tel: 0845 46 47
  • Options
    See a doctor if its that bad.
    could be something simple but is best to make sure if the pain is still there!
    NHS direct are a good starting point they know who to send you to just from talking to them on the phone.
    Hope u get better soon
  • Options
    ive just spoken to my mum, and i hinted that i wanted to go to hospital, but she just said to wait and see what the doctor says. the only thing is, i've got school tomorrow and im really scared it'll come on while im there, and i cant be sent home :(
  • Options
    Why not ask your mum if you can call NHS direct as a compromise? I'd only go to hospital if it's really an emergency.

and bear in mind that if you don't feel well tomorrow, you don't have to go to school.
  • Options
    i do have to go to school
    its kind of complicated....but my dad thinks it all my anxiety problems i had with school.....so if i dont go he gets mad, and my mums scared of him so she sends me
    but it just pisses the school off cause they nearly always have to send me home, ive been off for 2 days and my mum yelled at me this morning for saying it was still hurting - she thinks im making out its worse than it is to get time off aswell
  • Options
    if you're in enough pain to need to go to hospital, there's no way in the world the school will refuse to send you home and make you sit lessons, however 'pissed off' they may be.
  • Options
    i know, i just hate having to go to the nurse because the receptionist and her both just roll their eyes at me and dont really believe me, and my dad gets really mad when im sent home, last time it happened he totally ingored me and wouldnt even look at me :(
  • Options
    if it gets really bad, ask them if they can take you to the hospital, or ring your GP for you, rather than just going home. It might look a bit more genuine.

but to be honest, it's none of the nurse or receptionist's business whether you are faking or not. they're there to provide a service, not judge you.
  • Options
    theyd probably only ring for an ambulance if i collasped or something....well they do judge me and its horrible. im always terrified to go to the nurse when im taken ill at school now
  • Options
    It sounds like a similar problem to what i get sometimes.
    When i was 14 i had pains in my side so bad i went to hospital and was later described as having a condition called abdominal migrane - this now i find is due to being stressed and worried about things.
    When i get it i just try to relax and take deep breaths and concentrate on something

I hope this helps