Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

depression - self help?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

I was signed off work for two weeks for depression and went back to work last week but ended up being signed off for 3 weeks after only being back a week. The doctor has put me on prozac but I'm really fed up of being so emotional all the time. What can I do to to help myself? If I had a cold I'd take lemsip, if I sprained my wrist Id bandage it so what can I do to help myself get over this?

Phoenix

Comments

• Options
    most anti depressents take two weeks to kick in and have positive effects, but can take six months to be fully effective and for you to be able to come off them according to my doctor.

i was told to relax as much as possible and to take up hobbies that would help endorphines be released when i felt ready - if i enjoyed it then do it, i was told. so i took up aerobics ,swimming,going to the gym and tennis. it did help.
  • Options
    :yes:
    Exercise is one of the key factors here. Read this article about boosting mental health to find out more.

There's a really good book called Healing Without Freud or Prozac that looks at natural aproaches to curing anxiety and depression. I know you are already on antidepressants, but there might be other things, such as diet you could look at.
  • Options
    Basically what has been said, try to keep a regular routine. Try to have aims to do manageable things during the time, do things you enjoy. Excercise is meant to be very good at boosting your mood too.
  • Options
    What can I do to to help myself? If I had a cold I'd take lemsip, if I sprained my wrist Id bandage it so what can I do to help myself get over this?

1. eat well
    2. exercise
    3. do things you ENJOY doing
    4. focus only on living for the moment

- guaranteed cure! ;)
  • Options
    Sikorah wrote:
    Try to have aims to do manageable things during the time, do things you enjoy.

yeah, that's always a good idea.

when you're down, it can feel like getting back out and living a normal life is impossible and intimidating and all those other long i-words. and if you launch yourself back into being 'normal' you can end up feeling worse for it, and like a total failure, when really you've just been trying to run before you can walk.

set yourself little goals. as little as they need to be. one day aim to laugh three times, and really mean it. other days aim to go to the shops on your own. the more you achieve, the greater your confidence in yourself will get, and you'll start realising that you can beat this.
  • Options
    I was feeling depressed for 2 and a half years before I desided I really had to do something about it... I think the good sign is when you're thinking that way you're more ready to help yourself and get some effect out of it, wether its finding a counsellor or whatever you find helps. (Even if you don't believe in the self-help book route, just take a look at some because I found one which actually helped!... there's a lot of rubbish out there but theres also the little gems that are worth hunting for if you want to).
    Definatly eat really healthily (three meals a day etc) and exercise if you can bring yourself to. ;)

I hope the antidepressants help and you're feeling better soon. :)
  • Options
    Lu C, whats the name of the self help book which helped you?

Thanks for your advice guys, I made myself go out for a walk today and sometime next week I'm off swimming.

Phoenix
  • Options
    I can't really remember... I'ts something obvious like Beat depression... One of my friends is borrowing it at the moment so will ask her tomorrow what it's called.
    I got it at waterstones... its quite a small book, white cover with a red flower on the front.
    Anyway, will post again when I find the name :thumb: