Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

how to make a good impresion

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
well, not make a good impression as such, but does anyone have any advise on how to get along with a partner's parents?

I see them quite a bit, family things, spending time round my g/f's house etc. But I'm very shy and quiet and find it hard to talk to people I don't know really well, also, when in big groups (like the family occasions) I find it hard enough to talk to poeople I do know very well. Obvioiusly I want her parents to like me, but am not sure of how to go about this. What has everyone else done? Any tips?

I know that they liked my g/f's previous boyfriend a lot and got on really well with him, and I feel a lot of pressure to try and live up to that and be as nice and friendly as he was.

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Just be polite, say please and thankyou, you'd be suprised at how well received good manners are!
  • Options
    just be yourself. that's all you can do. there's no use in making small talk if it's not you. you won't be able to keep it up all of the time. like satehen said, just be polite. and treat their daughter well. :p;)
  • Options
    yeah i agree.. be yourself, except if that's someone.... :yeees: well u get what i mean :thumb:
  • Options
    just be yourself. that's all you can do. there's no use in making small talk if it's not you. you won't be able to keep it up all of the time. like satehen said, just be polite. and treat their daughter well. :p;)

Well I'm trying hard on both acocunts :) Think I'm doing ok.
  • Options
    quarfly wrote:
    yeah i agree.. be yourself, except if that's someone.... :yeees: well u get what i mean :thumb:

Yeah :)

I'm a naturally polite person, good manners etc. But some people can see my quietness as rudeness, I think that's what I'm worried about the most.
  • Options
    red_jelly wrote:
    Yeah :)

I'm a naturally polite person, good manners etc. But some people can see my quietness as rudeness, I think that's what I'm worried about the most.

aslong as you acknowledge them and don't ignore them, i don't think they could see it as being rude. they probably know through talking to your gf that you're shy. i wouldn't worry. but if you're concerned about what they think of you, ask your gf.
  • Options
    Good manners and offering to be of help never did anyone any harm.

JUst relax, they're not going to kill you.