Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

Birth certificates....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I have got a friend who is pregnant, her and her bf have split and he is being awful to her.... anyway, she is under the impression that if his name is not on the certificate, he cannot have any parental rights?

Is this true?

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    thank you. I always thought though that although the father can take it too court it doesn't neccessarily mean he will get parental rights without the mothers permission?
  • Options
    That used to be true but I know some new law came out so shed have to check up on it..I dont really agree with not letting the father have parental responsibility as well as the mother but thats my opinion..

My ex had a nightmare tryin to get parental responsibility and his name was on the birth certificates but thats what that new law come in for im sure if the name is on then the father gets automatic responsibility and so he should if u ask me...
  • Options
    neither do i but he is a very violent man and many other things. She doesn't feel he is safe around her child.
  • Options
    if he takes her to court he can still get access rights under controlled conditions , if she contests because he is violent it can be supervised visits i think.

only the father himself can put himself on the birth certificate.
  • Options
    Women's Aid might have more information on the violence front and parental rights etc
  • Options
    my mum didn't put my dads name on my birth certificate - not sure if he knows.
  • Options
    if youre not married to the guy, then he can only get his name on the birth certificate if he comes with you to get the birth registered.
    He wont have parental rights unless hes on the birth certificate tbh.
  • Options
    J wrote:
    I think both parents names should be put on the birth certificate tbh because people like my mum would actualy know who who her dad is... Apparently it's her uncle but that's not imporatnt tbh.
    well they can be if the father goes along to get it registered. safeguards against people putting random people on the birth certificates.
  • Options
    well they can be if the father goes along to get it registered. safeguards against people putting random people on the birth certificates.

can it work the other way too though? can women put anyone they want on it if they are present? having never registered a birth i wouldn't know!
  • Options
    can it work the other way too though? can women put anyone they want on it if they are present? having never registered a birth i wouldn't know!
    Yes, if they consent to it and want to be registered as the father.
    Also, if a couple are married, but the child isnt her husbands, then she could still register him as the father, even if he wasnt present.
  • Options
    I think she will let him see his child and things like that but doesn't want him to have parental control. He is a very controling guy and him and his mother keep threatening to gain full custody of their baby just for spite. It worries her very much.
  • Options
    hi

just been though this myself

if the dad is on the certificate he gets half right
    but if left off no he dont get any
    and if a child does not see his dad for 3 yrs and over he can get deneyd it to

hope this helps icequeen

lifes a bitch so am i
  • Options
    -angel- wrote:
    I think she will let him see his child and things like that but doesn't want him to have parental control. He is a very controling guy and him and his mother keep threatening to gain full custody of their baby just for spite. It worries her very much.

its unlikely that any judge would let this happen. im sure your mate could prove she was a fit mother if push came to shove - the only way a judge would grant him and his mother custody was if they could prove she was unfit to be a mum.