Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

can cousins get married

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
hello theres a big family up roar at the moment and a big split in the family
my hubby brother is marrying his 1st cousin the family are very split saying its inmoral there blood but they have been told they can get married is this true does any 1 else know of cousins marrying and did it last

they want me to be a witness should i is it wrong or right help :banghead:

advice would be apricated :chin:

icequeen

Comments

• Options
    legally its fine for cousins to marry.
    morally... well... that depends on your perspective.
    if you don't feel its right; refuse to be the witness - simple as that. :)
  • Options
    can you marry your cousins in the uk? i thought it only happened in america. Personally i think it's abit weird.
  • Options
    Yes cousins can legally marry in the UK and have children, since the blood and genetic ties are so far removed (if you get my drift). Biologically it is not a problem, moraly it depends on the individual.
  • Options
    satehen wrote:
    Yes cousins can legally marry in the UK and have children, since the blood and genetic ties are so far removed (if you get my drift). Biologically it is not a problem, moraly it depends on the individual.

My friends parents were cousins. He was born with 6 fingers on each hand and had to have them removed at birth. Whether this was just chance or not I don't know, but it certainly made me think.

If you feel uncomfortable with it then don't do it is the best advice I can give I'm afraid. It is perfectly legal though.
  • Options
    thanks

hi there thankyou all for your advice

you have all helped me make my mind up if you dont a agree with it dont do it not a lot of family are going as they dont agree :confused:

thnakyou again icequeen :thumb:
  • Options
    My friends parents were cousins. He was born with 6 fingers on each hand and had to have them removed at birth. Whether this was just chance or not I don't know, but it certainly made me think.

Really? A tail as well? I think six fingers on each hand would be quite an asset, could type loads faster.
  • Options
    I thought immediate cousins could not marry in the UK :confused:
  • Options
    They can I think, left over from when it was common to marry in the family. Its rare now though.
  • Options
    Yeah, you're right, they can.

How bizarre.

It kinda makes sense in a way. People are attracted to themselves, and cousins do tend to look alike.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    and cousins do tend to look alike.

do they?

In all honesty i look nothing like any of my cousins and don't really know anyone that does.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    do they?

In all honesty i look nothing like any of my cousins and don't really know anyone that does.
    I'd say so, there's a definite family resemblance in all my cousins, on both sides of the family. It's stronger in some than others, but there's a definite similarity.
  • Options
    beans wrote:
    do they?

:yes: You can tell me and my cousins from my dads side are related, but not on my mums.
  • Options
    Kermit wrote:
    It kinda makes sense in a way. People are attracted to themselves, and cousins do tend to look alike.
    dna is rather selfish really isn't it?!
    sorry... it was just as a sideline to the conversation. :)
  • Options
    I know two cousins that married - they had 3 boys maybe all 2 years apart from the next but the kids did all look a bit like clones of each other from a photo I saw of them, probabaly changed a lot now though.
  • Options
    dna

wow how freky is that i thought if there moms are sisters there dna would be close making there kids deformed like a inbreed

there getting married 4 july and there haveing crap from the ppl on the est eggs up the window scrached the car picking on her kids there trying to move

didnt relise ppl didnt like the idear

icequeen