Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Options

copyright law

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i say the current balance is wrong, its 50 years after the creaters death that a work becomes copyright free

i say it should be less time, what say you?

Comments

• Options
    I say it should be for the life of the creator + transferable to relatives or other appointees.
  • Options
    I say with rights comes responsibilities.

for as long as you wish to hold the copyright, you must ensure that copies are available at a "reasonable" price
  • Options
    once an artist dies their work should be in public domain to which anyone can publish therefore the artist is guranteed rights to their work, and when they die its noones
  • Options
    I say with rights comes responsibilities.

for as long as you wish to hold the copyright, you must ensure that copies are available at a "reasonable" price

My work, my rights. I have no responsibility to anybody else.
  • Options
    I think it should stay 50 years. If you've written a good song say and not allowed anyone to cover it and release it as a single, as soon as you're dead they'll take advantage and make more money cause they don't have to pay royalties either.

50 years so that they can die too.
  • Options
    It should be 50 years or upon death, whichever comes later.
  • Options
    My work, my rights. I have no responsibility to anybody else.
    as the law stands.

But why should you have any rights at all?
  • Options
    as the law stands.

But why should you have any rights at all?

Well if I wrote a song, which I have, plenty, but if I wrote a song and I had no rights as to who could copy, cover, distribute, etc, then people would be making money off of my creation, and they don't have to even pay royalties or give attribution to me for my original creation.

www.creativecommons.org is a great site on copyright laws with different rules around them, which is a great idea.
  • Options
    Nightfreak wrote:
    Well if I wrote a song, which I have, plenty, but if I wrote a song and I had no rights as to who could copy, cover, distribute, etc, then people would be making money off of my creation, and they don't have to even pay royalties or give attribution to me for my original creation.
    Right, so we give you the right of making money from your work. This is a good thing.

How does imposing a requirement that you make the work available, if you wish to retain your copyright hurt this?
    www.creativecommons.org is a great site on copyright laws with different rules around them, which is a great idea.
    I can't find discussion of copyright on that site.